Touch up Painting Plastic Dash Part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to touch up a piece of my dash and plan on using the pictured sprayer.
I got 4 oz of the paint color so I don't want to use a big sprayer ( which I don't have).
Has anyone used one of these sprayers for a small job?
Here is the piece and I will be doing extensive masking....
IMG-5902.jpg
Here is the sprayer....
IMG-5909-1.jpg

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's the entire dash. Generally not replaceable. I'd try the sprayer first on some other similar plastic part. If it works, go for it. Go with several light coats, of course.

You may have to refinish at least both sides if the match or gloss isn't perfect. If all else fails, you can cover all of them with a colored film. You're lucky to have the silver (platinum) dash. The dark gray would be very hard to match.

Please post the results. I've often wondered how I'd refinish these if they got dinged up.

OP
OP
marlinpruett

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do, the hardest part so far was getting the vent out.
You tube makes it look easy but the guy already had it out when he made the video.
Took me more than a few tries. I guess my hands are too big!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason the expeditions with the silver in that area flake and wear off occasionally. The dark grey stays nice and solid, but I think that’s the base color and the silver is paint. I always Armor-All my interior which generally keeps the plastics good. Mine is that grey color matching the top portion. I believe they paint that part depending on the trucks interior color scheme as in your case.
45925204-90AF-4B3F-8248-94ADB2DEB14E.jpeg

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The painted silver (Ford calls it "flux steel") was used on the higher-end offerings, like most Eddie Bauer and Limiteds with a black ("charcoal") panel. Our XLT's had the medium gray, whatever that was called, which came with "medium stone" or "camel" trim.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think paint will come out very nice. Just thin coats and don't run it.

You could also use stick on film they sell. They have kits for about everything on ebay.

I have been thinking about finding what color matches to the Navigator 03-06 Silver they used on everything. That was a bad idea. It gets too dirty and wears off.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think paint will come out very nice. Just thin coats and don't run it.

You could also use stick on film they sell. They have kits for about everything on ebay.

I have been thinking about finding what color matches to the Navigator 03-06 Silver they used on everything. That was a bad idea. It gets too dirty and wears off.

Yeah, Gator grey or silver or whatever seems to rub off big time with certain people's sweat biochemistry or something? Been meaning to color match or swap those pieces

My bought-used newer Gator L has major discolorations on the lil plastics that hold the power window switches... which is disappointing because the more heavily worn and older SSV stock interior had no such problem, nor did the even older Bauer interior