Tow Hook to Shackle Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bummer.....The F150 RC Shackle mounts do not fit. The bolt pattern is spot on but the Tow hook bracket is too large to fit in the front fascia opening. Even if you were to remove the rubber insert, the bracket still would not fit....Bummer...

Did they come in? Where did you order from? Happen to snap any pics?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rough Country...For f150....Would not fit without a major trim job of the front fascia....Sent them back.
Bummer. Looking at the web page for them, https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-tow-hook-shackle-conversion-kit-rs150c.html it looks like lower trimming is required. The fog light wiring is under the tow hooks, (I've relocated my wiring above the hooks). Depends on how much trimming is required: might not leave very much material on the lower valance, especially if it's already been trimmed after removal of the air dam.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bushpilot

You are the MAN. Definitely different price point... but still bolt on, stout, removable and they fit the Navi and Expi! I was originally thinking I was going to have to do a custom front hitch but this is so much better. Don't have to move the intercooler or anything!

You seem to have experience with these setups... I have never flat towed before. Have you used any from BlueOx? Do they tend to fit like hitches or more snug/no movement? At the baseplate? I realize there will be some where the tow bar/tongue connects. Not worried about that.

Thank you!

PS, etrailer seems to have decent deals compared to MSRP. Is that where you would order from?

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Ford/Expedition/2019/BO84FR.html?VehicleID=20195001757

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@bushpilot

You are the MAN. Definitely different price point... but still bolt on, stout, removable and they fit the Navi and Expi! I was originally thinking I was going to have to do a custom front hitch but this is so much better. Don't have to move the intercooler or anything!

You seem to have experience with these setups... I have never flat towed before. Have you used any from BlueOx? Do they tend to fit like hitches or more snug/no movement? At the baseplate? I realize there will be some where the tow bar/tongue connects. Not worried about that.

Thank you!

PS, etrailer seems to have decent deals compared to MSRP. Is that where you would order from?

https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates/Ford/Expedition/2019/BO84FR.html?VehicleID=20195001757

thanks! mine is practical experience.

the fit at the base plate connection point is more precise than a ball or receiver hitch connection point (minimal slop, no chatter in comparison).

ALL the tow bar manufactures (Roadmaster, BlueOx & Demco) make adapters for each others tow bars and baseplates...so youll be able to use any shackle or hook set up you prefer (etrailer is a good source for the cross mfg adapters).

tow bars are rated by towing capacity, youll want a properly rated tow bar.

Our 2020 4x4 Max has a reported base weight of 5,793 Lbs with a Gross weight of 7,550 Lbs (I haven't weighed ours yet, but I will, w/ a full tank of gas)

eTrailer is a great source (check amazon too) - ive never had issue w/ eTrailer.com, great service (reasonable pricing) and very knowledgeable staff.

I may be forced to buy those EXPY baseplates from etrailer (hate paying retail), but I doubt ill find them cheaper anywhere else.

Ive gotten lucky....and im usually not in a hurry....I troll CraigsList & Ebay as well as the RV forums for someone selling the stuff....you can usually pick it up for 30% of retail sometimes better...RV-ers keep this stuff in their garage for years thinking its worth what they paid for it (they get gouged bad on installs too) and eventually get tired of seeing it on a shelf or in a corner.

ive always done the install of the baseplate & wiring/lighting myself, and ive never bought a tow bar (or base plates) retail....lots of RV'ers sell their coach and keep the tow bar or they usually sell the toad and forget to remove the base plates (which are like needles in a haystack).

IF there is concern about wear, the tow bars can be completely rebuilt (DIY) and all the bushings are easily replace (I always replace/renew the bushings and wear points when I buy a used tow bar...its good insurance and if forces me to inspect and clean up the tow bars...parts typically are less than $50).

BLUE OX will rebuild their tow bars for free (at the big RV shows etc, or at their factory), BlueOx even has RV slots at their factory for over night stays (ive never used either of these services).

I've flat towed our (4000lb) wrangler (well over 50k miles), using both a blueox (aventa) bar and a Roadmaster falcon & falcon2 bar....both bars are rated at 5-6k lbs capacity. I bought the Aventa & Base Plates for the wrangler from a CraigsList add...paid less the 300 for both. the Aventa is a nicer fully articulating bar. the falcons are basic, work well but can bind when trying to disconnect.

The falcon bars I picked up for 75 bucks (each).

about 2 yrs ago I set up our 2017 F350 for flat towing....mostly cause I found a brand new set of base plates on amazon for $75, including prime shipping (clearly someone priced them wrong).

I got lucky and found a Roadmaster BlackHawk2 (10k lb) tower on Craigslist and picked it up for $150...it was dirty ;)

upload_2020-4-18_11-50-8.jpeg

upload_2020-4-18_12-25-42.png

upload_2020-4-18_12-25-57.jpeg

upload_2020-4-18_12-26-14.jpeg

upload_2020-4-18_12-28-16.jpeg

Last edited:

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flat towing an F250 is hilarious looking... Haha

Luckily my weight requirements quite low. I will somebe mounting some hollow aluminum tubing, a spring loaded arm, stabilized gimbal and a camera. Couple hundred lbs on the worst day. That is great to know a out the swappable mounts.

Sooooo... I got to ask. What is in the toter!?

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flat towing an F250 is hilarious looking... Haha

F350....longbed....8500lbs (w/fuel, no payload).
I had a love/hate relationship w/ that truck.

2017 is the 1st year that you could flat tow the super duty w/ ESOF.
I set it up mostly cause I could - but w/ the idea I could put a motorcycle (or move daughters furniture) while towing/camping

I was pushing 70' in that configuration

Sooooo... I got to ask. What is in the toter!?

toters homes are set up to pull a 5th wheel or king pin type (race trailer)...toters have nice / but less living space.

this is a toter....

upload_2020-4-19_5-59-21.png

We're a motor coach....we are all house.

Our truck conversion types can be had in a motor garage configuration too... rear garages (4-14 feet) are usually set up w/ a lift gate and designed to haul a small car or several motorcycles.

Our coach is just shy if 43'....it's truck conversion RVs are built on Class 8 tractor trailer chassis (designed to haul 80k lbs or more)....were weigh in around 36k lbs.

Were powered by a 12.8L in-line 6 cyl. intercooler turbo diesel...450hp/1650tq - w/ a 12 speed AMT (automated manual transmission)...aka paddle shifter...I call it a Manu-matic - its a dry clutch (not a torque converter) w/ no clutch pedal...its a cool set up....absolutely GIANT (fun) motor...oil capacity is 14 GALLONS

we can get anywhere from 10-13 mpg - towing a truck or 10k lb trailer has no significant impact to mpg (speed is more the factor there).

you can see a few examples (including similar interiors) of truck conversions motor coaches here.

its a lot of fun and quite comfortable no matter where we go or end up sleeping (track side, rest area, state parks or even my mother in laws curb).

I see youre from NOLA...ever hear of the RV park near the quarter....its a nice place - FQRV park

for reference the car trailer is 22' long...

upload_2020-4-19_6-26-27.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX