Tow Hook to Shackle Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150s and Expedition share the tow hook part number so the RCs and AMI should bolt up without issue.
Only question is if the opening is large enough and does the Expedition bumper stick out further than the F150.
But likely not something a little trimming can’t remedy.

I contacted AMI to see what they say.

From what I could tell on parts.ford.com and varsityfordparts.com, I think the standard F150 tow hooks are a different part number than the 2018+ Expeditions. They have a hole drilled parallel to the ground. I think the 2019 F150 Raptor shares the same part with the 2019 Expedition for the black painted ones (7L1Z-17A954-AA).

I think the mounting hole pattern is the same on both sets.

Update: 4/14/2020: I think what I said above is incorrect. I think the 2018-2019 Expeditions share the same tow hook with the 2017-2019 F-150's.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I could tell on parts.ford.com and varsityfordparts.com, I think the standard F150 tow hooks are a different part number than the 2018+ Expeditions. They have a hole drilled parallel to the ground. I think the 2019 F150 Raptor shares the same part with the 2019 Expedition for the black painted ones (7L1Z-17A954-AA).

I think the mounting hole pattern is the same on both sets.

Sorry, did not realize I was in the 4th gen section. I compared parts of a 2016.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing if they fit.
I contacted AMI which is a division of ReadyLift and they did not know if theirs would fit but they are made in the USA.

If the RCs fit I’ll eventually order the AMIs. The front loop looks much cleaner on the AMI to RCs pretty crude welds.

Also I am pretty sure all RCs stuff is made in China. If you could verify this for us as well when yours arrive that would be much appreciated.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could always get a pair of soft shackles to ue with the stock tow hooks. I plan getting some when we are free to travel again.

Can't stomach spending money until I can use something. So I will wait it out. ;)

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow loops are better. You use a shackle to the strap and it won't fall off. When off roading, you keep the straps preconnected to the loops...better than diving under the mud to hook them up.

OP
OP
D

Donn Brink

Reaction score
Bummer.....The F150 RC Shackle mounts do not fit. The bolt pattern is spot on but the Tow hook bracket is too large to fit in the front fascia opening. Even if you were to remove the rubber insert, the bracket still would not fit....Bummer...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bummer.....The F150 RC Shackle mounts do not fit. The bolt pattern is spot on but the Tow hook bracket is too large to fit in the front fascia opening. Even if you were to remove the rubber insert, the bracket still would not fit....Bummer...

Start cutting. lol

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you got some quick photographs? how much would you have to trim (or cut)? I've already trimmed a bit off my openings after removing the 'covers'.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much trimming are we talking??
Don’t feel like trimming send them my way and I’ll test them on the 15-17 models.