towing a new tt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumpyal8

Reaction score
i have a 2006 expy with a gvw of 7300 lbs by adding awdh how does that affect the total weight of a camper weighing 7350lbs dry plus add weight of per stuffaand does that include pass ?? help if you can novice at this plus anybody know of any good add on mirrors tryed 2 they sucked

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
GVWR includes everything the truck's tires will carry, including passengers, gear, and the tongue weight of the trailer. The tow rating is different from GVWR. Assuming the truck weighs 6K, (my 01 XLT 4x4 is about 5700) that leaves you about 1300 lbs of cargo capacity. Assuming a tongue weight of 500 lbs, you can still put 800 lbs of cargo in the rig. Not sure what the tow rating is on that rig, but you're gonna be pushing it with that trailer.
Dry trailer weight usually DOES NOT INCLUDE things like appliances, AC units, etc. You actually need to weigh the trailer. My 19' Superlite is listed at around 3000 dry, but loaded with 900 lbs of quads, scales at 6000, and my truck hates it. Also, you're going to want a load distributing hitch to take up some of the sag. Good luck

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
what camper is this?7350 dry?? what is the gross weight of the camper?

OP
OP
G

grumpyal8

Reaction score
towing my new tt

my new tt weight is 7350 dry trailer can carry approx 1800lbs of cargo
i checked with with 800 # for ford they looked up my vin i can tow 8600 lbs loaded plus i have installed a weight dist hitch have i covered all my bases the only thing i cant find is decent pair of add on towing mirrors anybody know off a goodsrt of mirrors

hautevue

Reaction score
A "dry" trailer weighing 7350 is heavy. Add about 1000# for your "stuff". 1/2 tank of fresh water (maybe 20 gallons) adds 160 pounds, plus your propane (another 100 pounds or so), and assuming the black and grey tanks are empty, your trailer weight will be over 8600 pounds. If you travel and hook up to campground water, your grey and black tanks will accumulate waste, and you can easily hit 9000 pounds.

You note that the max towing for your tow vehicle (TV) is 8600 pounds. IMHO, you are over the limit for safe towing.

Adding a weight distribution hitch (WDH) does not increase the towing capacity or the recommended hitch weight on the hitch ball. A WDH will transfer weight to the TV but does not increase the limit of the travel trailer (TT) hitch weight on the TV.

I recommend you rethink your setup. Safety of yourself and your family comes first. I'll send a second posting with a load calculator that you can use at your friendly truck scales to see what you are really towing...When I weighed my setup (an 08 Expy EL with an Outback TT that weighs 6100 pounds as delivered from the factory), I was surprised that I was at 7300 pounds.

Last edited:

hautevue

Reaction score
Here's a formula for calculating your weights.

TV = Towing Vehicle
TT = Travel Trailer

At the truck scales, weigh:

1. TV only

2. TV with loaded hitch (the TT is hitched to the TV but only the TV wheels are on the scale)

3. full weight of TV and TT. (all wheels of the entire rig on the scale)

4. TT only, while hitched to your TV (the TV forward, and its wheels not on the scale.)

2 minus 1 = traveling loaded hitch weight (HW)

4 plus HW = Traveling TT weight

Be sure to check your TT and TV for GVWR.

Compare # 3 to GCVWR.

The GVWR and GCVWR numbers should be on the sticker on the Expy or in the owner's manual.

ChiefRummy

Reaction score
Hi,

I tow with an 07 Expedition and was having a hell of a time finding mirrors that would work well for me.

I found a set that don't vibrate, and once you tweak them a little bit they actually work extremely well I find - if they can survive the wind when driving along or into the rockies between Calgary and Lethbridge then they should be good just about anywhere in North America I would think.

**** is the name brand - there are some bad reviews out there for them - but there are also good reviews for them. I had thought about buying a set of McKesh mirrors but I don't want anything vibrating against the door of my truck - these ****'s just stick on your mirror, and as long as your mirrors are flat black you have nothing to worry about.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...75P/Universal%2BTowing%2BMirror.jsp?locale=en

http://images.autoanything.com/imag...s/cipa_11960_universal_towing_mirror_hero.jpg

Last edited: