Towing with Expedition vs. Explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAB1975

Reaction score
Looking for input on the value of upgrading my truck. Any thoughts welcome.

Today I have a 2004 Explorer with tow package, 3.73 diff, and 4.6L V8. Specs according to Ford is that I have about 7100 lbs. of towing capacity. I use the Explorer to tow a 24 ft., 4100 lbs., travel travel, and honestly don't have too much trouble aside from a little side to side roll and front to back pitch. From what I can tell, the cause of these are an 11 year old suspension, easily fixed by upgrading sway bars and new quick struts and/or air suspension. The plus side to the Explorer is that it's smaller, paid for, and only has 77K miles. When I bought it, I thought I'd be buying a smaller trailer, but my wife had other ideas.

What I would like to know is what's the real value in trading it for an Expedition for the purpose of towing, say one from 2004-2008. Obviously this covers two different generations and includes ELs, so please mention which you are referring to when you reply. I know the Expeditions can have a higher tow rating than my Explorer in some cases, and its wheelbase is about 5" longer and 6" wider, but what else about the Expy's frame, size, design, etc. would make it better than an Explorer?

RRILO

Reaction score
I would opt for the Expi EL based on the difference in wheelbase alone. The sway you experience is probably due to (among other things) the short wheelbase of the Explorer. Rule of thumb is 110" of wheelbase for 20' of trailer and add 4" of wheelbase for every foot of trailer. At 24', you would want 126" of wheelbase for max stability.

Explorer wheelbase is ~114" while Expi EL is ~131".

Rear axle will probably be beefier too and you'll get better GVWR and GCWR ratings.

I'll let others describe the difference between the 4.6L and 5.4L engine.

IMHO, the Expi is a much more capable tow vehicle for your needs.

With that said, you can't beat a free and clear title on your Explorer. I don't know about you, but my vehicles always seem to run better after they are paid off :happy107:

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only issue with the explorer is what is stated above and thats size. Id feel likenit could be bullied a bit by certain trailers easier then the expedition. But being paid off and low miles are both huge advantages. There certainly is a difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 but for towing 4100lbs the 4.6 is more then fine.

If you stay explorer you could make up some of the power with aftermarket parts and getting new strut assemblies, beefy sways and maybe d rated or better tires you should gain alot of stability I'd think . Sure c rated will probably be fine but i find higher rated tires take away alot of spongy-ness or bounce . The only issue you wont get around is the fact that a trailer that size might bully the explorer as you stated above and sadly no parts will fix that.

Either way youll be fine, sure the expedition is a much better tow rig but the explorer is more then capable albeit a bit small for the task. Good luck in your choice.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an 07 Expedition and a 30' TT. It pulls great with the setup I have. I'm using the Reese Dual Cam HP hitch for WD and sway control. What are you using? Air your tires up when you tow. When I had P rated tires on the truck I would air them up to 50 psi. I recently replaced them with E rated. Normal running around I am running 35 psi. I towed for the first time with them last weekend and ran them at 55 psi. I air all the tires up to that. It makes a huge difference when towing.

If you decide to go to a bigger truck be careful. For some strange reason after the truck gets bigger the trailer gets bigger.

OP
OP
A

AAB1975

Reaction score
Thanks for all your input guys! As much as I want to fight the temptation, I think I need to start shopping around for an Expedition. There's only so much white-knuckle driving I can handle :biggrin:
The Explorer has some value at least, so I can use that towards the new truck. And what I would have put into the parts to upgrade, I can use towards the new truck also.

Last edited:

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other thing is generally speaking, at least up here, Expeditions are cheaper than explorers. Maybe the gas mileage or the uber green movements? Whatevs, I got mine for a steal and love it :)

OP
OP
A

AAB1975

Reaction score
Well... any of you know anyone in the market for a really nice Explorer?? I picked this up yesterday. I'm pretty sure with 8900 lbs towing capacity and 131" wheelbase, I've solved my dilemma :cheers:

So from the school of thought of go big or go home...

2785628419fa8ae10cbb7c3e468800676020063b.jpg

Will be looking out for tasteful wheel replacements. These chrome ones just don't do it for me. Otherwise, I love everything about it. Well, except having a car payment again! :frown:

Last edited: