Trade truck for Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wayyyyyyyyyyy safer in an SUV than in a truck, or any other type of vehicle for that matter. It's simple physics.
I consider safety to be more valuable than anything.
Soon as that random driver crosses a red and plows into your family while you are at work or something, guess which thing you are going to be concerned with most. Here's a hint, it's not the resale value of truck vs. SUV!

Go with the SUV

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wayyyyyyyyyyy safer in an SUV than in a truck, or any other type of vehicle for that matter. It's simple physics.
Soon as that random driver crosses a red and plows into your family while you are at work or something, guess which thing you are going to be concerned with most. Here's a hint, it's not the resale value of truck vs. SUV!

Go with the SUV

With this logic, did you purchase A Ford F650? Why not travel around in an armored car? Heck why drive at all?

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Go with the SUV

When you say simple, I'm assuming you are talking about size/weight, but an F150 Supercrew is larger, and similar in weight. This would be an example of simple physics and why you want to be in the larger heavier vehicle in a collision between the two..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-esjKXh5g

But design and safety features of the vehicle has far more to do with its survive-ability in a crash than truck vs suv body style. The F150 Supercrew has the highest ratings given for crash worthiness, side impact included, and has the same safety features (side and head curtain airbags) as an Expedition.

There is hard data on the performance of the 'Truck' from IIHS, but I don't believe the Expedition has been tested, so in the end its nothing but matter of opinion, but..

Please explain the simple physics that makes the Expedition significantly safer to be in in a collision..

Last edited:

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After having driven 1/2 ton pickup trucks for many years, we really needed something with more interior room AND that could tow the boat with ease, so we ended up with a '16 Expedition XLT. This is my favorite vehicle of all that I've owned over the years. The low end torque, the smooth ride, the ability to tow the boat with the family, our 90lb lab, and our luggage in an enclosed/secure cabin. The dog really enjoys the rear AC vents in the ceiling. It's the perfect vehicle for us, my only concern is being able to afford a replacement a few years from now.

Wegner44

Reaction score
The reality is it's all about the child and momma. The SUV is the logical choice and overall functionality for transporting a newborn is going to be your main factor. When kids arrive on the scene, all else is secondary. Our Expedition was the best purchase, we had a labrador too. Just get the SUV that suits your needs the best.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey want a 2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4 (pretty much Expedition EL w/ bells and whistles)?

Looking to sell mine, I'm in Orange County

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you say simple, I'm assuming you are talking about size/weight, but an F150 Supercrew is larger, and similar in weight. This would be an example of simple physics and why you want to be in the larger heavier vehicle in a collision between the two..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3-esjKXh5g

But design and safety features of the vehicle has far more to do with its survive-ability in a crash than truck vs suv body style. The F150 Supercrew has the highest ratings given for crash worthiness, side impact included, and has the same safety features (side and head curtain airbags) as an Expedition.

There is hard data on the performance of the 'Truck' from IIHS, but I don't believe the Expedition has been tested, so in the end its nothing but matter of opinion, but..

Please explain the simple physics that makes the Expedition significantly safer to be in in a collision..

im not sure of your point in posting such a lengthy reply. seems like you are only trying to disprove me rather than contribute anything useful.
besides the weight of large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks being the most important safety factor on the road, hands down. the cabin space inside the SUV is particularly more safe, because it is much larger. there are various and types of specific accident scenarios where the larger cabin space is beneficial. not all accidentals are head-on, rear end, or side impact collisions you know.
truck beds and small rear cabin space just do not mix, even with the bed being specifically designed to absorb impact rather than just killing the rear passengers instantly. there is still danger of having such comparatively small cabin space compared to the larger one of the SUV.
thanks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure of your point in posting such a lengthy reply. seems like you are only trying to disprove me rather than contribute anything useful.
besides the weight of large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks being the most important safety factor on the road, hands down. the cabin space inside the SUV is particularly more safe, because it is much larger. there are various and types of specific accident scenarios where the larger cabin space is beneficial. not all accidentals are head-on, rear end, or side impact collisions you know.
truck beds and small rear cabin space just do not mix, even with the bed being specifically designed to absorb impact rather than just killing the rear passengers instantly. there is still danger of having such comparatively small cabin space compared to the larger one of the SUV.
thanks.

An F150 provides pretty much the same amount of metal in all directions, and same or more amount of frame between the rear bumper and the 2nd row seats.

Interior cabin space doesn't cushion much of anything, it's only good for 2 things:

1. Not bumping your head on a dash you could have sat further away from in a larger truck (non-issue in a cavernous vehicle like any of the Fseries, which are close cousins to the Expedition in terms of interior layout anyway)

2. Not having some protruding part of another vehicle skewer you when it sticks on something solid --- engine block or frame for a truck... again, same difference, same engines available, same block and bumper to first and second row seat distances (length of the bed between you and a rear ender in the pickup's case), same width... only difference is a theoretically SLIGHTLY less safe 3rd row in a short wheelbase Expedition, where something could maaaaaaybe somehow penetrate inside the vehicle from behind deep enough to hit the seat (pretty darn unlikely... and downright impossible in an F150 or an EL, unless you look at bizzare ideas like a low sedan driving with a protruding telephone pole strapped to the roof or something)

All in all, both are HUGE vehicles with some of the largest bumper-to-seat distances and some of the widest interiors around, putting passengers at a safe distance from outside forces

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good luck finding offset collision data on any of the new ford trucks
though i must say, the modern f150s seem to have a much sturdier cabin than previous generations

but still, the expeditions are about 1500 lbs heavier than f150
that is a major difference

now would you like me to sit here and detail rudimentary physics for you, on why energy seems to have the habit of taking the path of least resistance and which vehicle is going to provide
more resistance?