Trade truck for Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but still, the expeditions are about 1500 lbs heavier than f150
that is a major difference

now would you like me to sit here and detail rudimentary physics for you, on why energy seems to have the habit of taking the path of least resistance and which vehicle is going to provide
more resistance?

Not really

The longbox screws with 4x4 and v8 are just as heavy at ~6k lbs, the small numbers are for a 4x2 small motor single cab shortie

Screenshot_2019-08-01-23-36-37.png

Roofs really don't weigh much of anything, slightly longer frame vs third row interior about evens out. The designs ARE extremely closely related and share a crapton of components and design elements

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah hey, crewcab trucks are not really practical. They take too much bed space. Honestly let's be realistic now.
Crewcabs suck, nobody uses them. And that is the only real option for a family truck. Unless you really plan on sticking a child in the back of anything smaller than a crewcab which is actually dangerous. Really think about the limited space in the back of an extended cab and try to realistically picture putting a child back there.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im not sure of your point in posting such a lengthy reply. seems like you are only trying to disprove me rather than contribute anything useful.

besides the weight of large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks being the most important safety factor on the road, hands down. the cabin space inside the SUV is particularly more safe, because it is much larger. there are various and types of specific accident scenarios where the larger cabin space is beneficial. not all accidentals are head-on, rear end, or side impact collisions you know.

truck beds and small rear cabin space just do not mix, even with the bed being specifically designed to absorb impact rather than just killing the rear passengers instantly. there is still danger of having such comparatively small cabin space compared to the larger one of the SUV.

thanks.

I don’t see where that was a lengthy reply, but okay..

Given that you come across as though your opinion is fact, I believe the forum members deserve to see an explanation or test data that supports it. If you are stating things that are incorrect as fact, then ‘disproving you’ is actually very useful to forum members that may not realize that.

Ultimately, I disagree with your statement, “Wayyyyyyyyyyy safer in an SUV than in a truck, or any other type of vehicle for that matter. It's simple physics.”

I also disagree with the statement, “besides the weight of large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks being the most important safety factor on the road, hands down”

The Ability to Avoid the Accident altogether is the most important safety factor, and often times cars are better at this as they have better handling dynamics, and are less prone to rollover from evasive maneuvers. Then there are systems that help to avoid accidents like automated braking, and stability control systems that I would also rank higher in the Safety value than weight, particularly if they allow you to avoid the accident all together.

In the end it’s the human behind the wheel that is the most important Safety Factor. Hopefully one that is paying attention to the task at hand, and has better than average driving skills, but I digress..

While I don’t expect to see an explanation that will change my opinion, I believe forum members deserve to understand your opinion is not necessarily fact, and if you can’t back it up with a reasonable explanation or hard facts, well, that just sort of proves the point.

And yes, there are accidents other than head-on, rear end and side impact. Since that covers all four sides, that leaves rollovers. Again, I see no evidence that suggests the Expedition is any safer in a rollover than a Supercrew F150 would be. If you have other Facts that show otherwise, glad to listen.

good luck finding offset collision data on any of the new ford trucks though i must say, the modern f150s seem to have a much sturdier cabin than previous generations

but still, the expeditions are about 1500 lbs heavier than f150
that is a major difference

now would you like me to sit here and detail rudimentary physics for you, on why energy seems to have the habit of taking the path of least resistance and which vehicle is going to provide more resistance?

It’s very easy to find offset crash data for the best-selling vehicle on American roads. As I noted earlier, the crash performance of the ‘Truck’ is well documented. The crash performance of the relatively low volume Expedition is not however..

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Ford/f-150-crew-cab-pickup/2017

As noted by another poster, there is not much difference in the weight of a loaded 4x4 F150 Supercrew (I suspect most families would be buying a 4wd Supercrew in Lariat trim or higher) and an Expedition..

Personally I believe that weight can be an advantage in a collision with a lighter vehicle, but it can also be a HUGE disadvantage in a collision with a stationary object like a tree or bridge abutment. It is also not going to do you any favors in a rollover. But given your mastery of physics, you surely understand this and why..

So yes, by all means, go ahead and detail rudimentary physics for us all. You make it a point that there are all different kinds of collisions, so don’t forget to use physics to explain why weight is an advantage in ALL OF THEM..

P.S. – Given the statement “besides the weight of large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks being the most important safety factor on the road, hands down”, I suppose it is safe to assume that you think that if the F150 in the crash videos above weighed half of what it does, there would be more damage and risk of injury in those collisions?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree you are way safer in an SUV, they are close. The F-150 always scores well.

I will give the Expedition one key advantage everyone seems to have overlooked and it’s an obvious one:

Weight- no not curb weight, weight distribution to the wheels. More even split between front and rear where a pickup has a lot more up front and the rear isn’t as planted.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd worry less about your vehicle and watch what you eat and get some exercise. Then again if you get hit by an escape on your jog, it won't matter how safe your expedition is.

The following data is taken from the CDC's 2017 report .
  • Heart disease. Number of deaths per year: 635,260. ...
  • Cancer. Number of deaths per year: 598,038. ...
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries) Number of deaths per year: 161,374. ...
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases. ...
  • Stroke. ...
  • Alzheimer's disease. ...
  • Diabetes. ...
  • Influenza and pneumonia.
--------------
You are far more likely to die of poisoning than a car wreck.

All unintentional injury deaths
  • Number of deaths: 169,936
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 52.2
  • Cause of death rank: 3
Unintentional fall deaths
  • Number of deaths: 36,338
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 11.2
Motor vehicle traffic deaths
  • Number of deaths: 40,231
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 12.4
Unintentional poisoning deaths
  • Number of deaths: 64,795
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 19.9
Source: Deaths: Final Data for 2017, tables 6, 7 pdf icon[PDF – 2 MB]

Last edited:

Wegner44

Reaction score
You guys have waaaaay too much time on your hands. Go spend it with your family and get over the trivial B.S.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can tell you is I got in an accident in my other 2007 Expedition XLT and totaled the truck but I was ok. All safety equipment worked properly and I bought another.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a frontal impact, and according to NHTSA it’s 5 stars. Didn’t consider this the 1st time I bought, I did the next.

0BF33A46-B2B4-4F37-9BD6-48724CBA5171.png
671A3BDE-FC2D-4386-94F0-A2BAD25557E2.png

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"i disagree with you"

wow just because you can, huh?
thats somethin'