Trailer sway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iantrev75

Reaction score
I just bought a 32 foot KZ with a GVW of 6800. I drive a 2014 King Ranch with a heavy duty tow package. I'm really excited about this new adventure with my wife and 8 year old twin boys. The rv dealership was extremely helpful and installed a weight distributing hitch and a sway bar however I noticed on the way home that I was swaying more than I had anticipated especially having the HD tow package. Did I buy too big of a trailer for the Expy or is there something else wrong? It seemed to do better around 60-65 mph but wind breaking by passing cars and big rigs didn't help the situation.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also you would be best to keep your speed based on the speed rating of your trailer tires and most are limited to 60/65 mph

Just because you have the Heavy duty tow package has nothing to do with sway.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Although you will get some good information on this forum I would suggest that you join a RV related forum as I fell you will get much better advice from those that are experienced in towing RV's. The Jayco owners forum which I am also on has many good post on towing and sway control. Another good forum is RV Net.

Another part of your sway problem could be if the WD hitch isn't properly adjusted.
read the attached for more information.

How to Weigh Your TV/TT - Jayco RV Owners Forum

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something for you to think about Read the attached.

2 sway bars - Jayco RV Owners Forum

Read my post in that thread (#4)

Knowing what to do when sway happens can make the difference in having a good or bad camping trip. Learn how to use the brake controller to help control sway. Check your tires and inflate them to the proper air pressure.

As stated earlier do some research on the RV forums about towing, WD adjustments and sway control. And make a visit to the CAT Scales.

And keep your speed down. Better to arrive a little late than not at all.

Last edited:

flumpydog

Reaction score
Hello,

Do you have a regular or EL? The longer wheelbase on the EL will help some in the stability department.

I have a 34 ft trailer that is a bit heavier than what you are pulling and I can relate to what you are going through. The best investment I made was switching the tires from P's to 10 ply LT's. The P tires were just to soft on the sidewall and the trailer would really steer the truck. The LT tires took most of that away.

Next issue is the WD hitch, I found that a lot of trailer dealers have no clue as to how to set them up properly. My dealer argued with me tons that they were right, my truck was pointing to the sky, trailer was nose high, steering was light and it was dangerous to drive. I had a Reese on at that time and spent a few hours with Reese to get it all setup correctly and all was good. I also had an added anti-sway (friction style bar) installed to further help keep things under control. Not sure what WD hitch you have, but you will need to measure the height of the front wheel-well without the trailer, with the trailer connected, but not using any of the WD features and then adjust your WD hitch, to adjust the front end to get close to the original height. There is a bit more to it than this, but that gives you the basics. Properly setup, your trailer should be level and the truck should look pretty level as well.

You also need to ensure you have enough weight on the tongue, should be between 10 - 15% of the loaded trailer weight.

I have used lots of different WD hitches over the years, and the next best investment I made was going with a ProPride (similar to a Hensley). They are not cheap, hold their value well if you want to resell it and I cannot say enough as to how this hitch has eliminated all sway. Sidewinds hardly effect the truck/trailer now and they feel like a single unit now, whereas with the Reese and others, the truck felt independent of the trailer.

Good luck and hope this helps some!

Chuck

rice_classic

Reaction score
Also you would be best to keep your speed based on the speed rating of your trailer tires and most are limited to 60/65 mph

I would be so bold as to say none. I have yet to find a trailer tire with a speed rating above 65mph. If any exist I know of a several guys that should be running them!

rice_classic

Reaction score
Also want to add, that all the things being mentioned will help.. to some degree. The Sway/Wt distro hitch, E-rated tires, tongue weight etc etc. All good.

But the fact of the matter is, you have 32 ft wind-sail behind you. That's a massive lever acting upon your truck. Imagine a dog wagging a tail that is both larger and heavier than the dog.

I tow a 8.5x20' enclosed (race car) that probably comes in just over 7500lbs. I avoided the 24' because of this very reason. I usually stay within 65mph, but I can do 70mph+ without much ado. I can only imagine how adding another 12 feet would impact my drive.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious if "sway detected, reduce speed" message showed up in OP's message center? Ford's trailer sway control should also flash the "stability control" light on the dash while the system brakes whichever wheels it thinks it needs to in order to control the wag. If bad enough, it'll reduce engine power as well.

If not, did you have this system deactivated in the menus?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tan Khai Nguyen