Tranny Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a friend or relative that had their tranny fluid changed and their tranny blew up several months afterward? I had an Explorer do this to me. Buddy of mine has a 2000 dodge ram with the 360 in it, he's been thru 3 rear ends, and has NEVER changed the transmission fluid. At 140K his tranny is just now startin to slip. I'm just paranoid about changin mine. I put 3 transmissions in that explorer and I don't wanna do it to the expy.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good god, 3 rear ends?!!!! maybe he should have bought a ford! hahah. most people that i have found drain the fluid they have in there now, change the filter in the tranny, then just filter the old fluid and put it back in.

gazbold

Reaction score
Just had mine flushed

Hi
I had mine flushed and refilled with full synthetic. The shop said it pays to have this re-done every 30,000 miles with ford trannys. They pump in fluid laced with a solvent, run it for a while to let it remove gum/varnish etc then drain and re-fill with new. They also change out the screens.

I had an issue with what seemed to be a leak but it turned out to be overheated fluid getting spat out of the breather on top of the casing.
I was towing at the time.

The flush was about a month ago now and I've had no noticable issues.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i need to change mine....never have and ive owned truck for 3 yrs.....im scared chit....lol itll cost $900 EASY TO FIX.......lol it will end up being a $1000 fluid change.

i heard its a chance......it could happen.:confused:

sometimes itll stutter into over drive....it goes away but happens at 1st on some trucks....after fluid change.:(

ive seen this on ford p-u...construction trucks.....and this guy services his stuff so.....he had 1 go bad after change.

...ive wanted to drain a little fluid at a time by disconnecting a line.

if i do do the fluid...i want a pan with drain ....thats like $200 or more...2oo cheap!:mad:

if u dont know when fluid was last changed....its a chance. cause IF you knew it was changed about 20-30,000 ago would help....

is fluid dark red....like mine....heard dark red isnt bad. wipe stick off on a clean rag.

Last edited: