Tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davrober

Reaction score
Just got a 1999 1ith 125000 miles and no service history. Should I go ahead and flush the tranny or will this create more problems than fix. Thanks:cheers:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend a full tune-up. Since there is no history on the truck you have no way of knowing when or if anything was done to it before hand.

I would change oil,oil filter, plugs, fuel filter, tranny oil, tranny filter, clean MAF sensor, run seafoam, change sepentine belt, replace the front O2 sensors, clean out throttle body and maybe plenum( if its bad) im sure theres more i probably left out but off the top opf my head thats all i can think of.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, you can buy MAF cleaner at any auto parts store. Just pull out MAF spray it with cleaner. I like to let it dry before i put it back in but thats just me.

OP
OP
D

davrober

Reaction score
Now that sounds like a deal. Just got it today .. Drove it home 120 miles . I got .R U ready 20.34 mpg witrh 4.6l ..
Gonna do the tranny service. The oil is red with just a little lite orangy , doesn't smell fresh but not burnt either . Got a very subtle tiny vibration almost unnoticable when in gear and stopped. RPM is rock solid so Im assuming its the driveline. My toyota had it too and its still going at 175k .. Take it out of gear like the toyota and it smooths out.Seems to shift great and the lockup works . :cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

davrober

Reaction score
no not yet. This lady was a smoker so Ill be spending the week really cleaning and detailing the inside , then the engine and then Ill service it. Im getting front tire tomorrow and having the cruise control recall done .Its the only one it missed. I have a great shop to do the tranny service, the used to do my BMW.

OP
OP
D

davrober

Reaction score
I went to Ford today to have the cruise recall done and they said if I dont know if or when service on the tranny was done then I should do nothing because a flush might do more harm than good. They said just wait and if it starts to act up then try the change before going for a new one. so thats the end of that . I do know the oil was done last in march from the sticker so
they changed the oil I guess plus the ign wires look brand new and the air filter is clean .TRuns perfect and with the new tires the rolly polly steering is gone.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't power flush it.

But I would drop the pan and gravity-drain it, then refill it with fresh fluid.

Keep in mind that many folks won't touch an older tranny with unchanged fluid, just as your dealer told you.

But I think fresh fluid is always better than old fluid.

blown87notch

Reaction score
They tell you this because all they do is the stupid power flush.

The best thing you could do it have a normal flush (we did them at firestone) were they undo a line and all the old goes out and it puts new in...just a flush not a filter back flush.

Then after that is done pull the pan and put a new filter in it. But this will cost you a ton in fluid.

The reason they tell you not to is because the stupid power flush thros all the crap around then it plugs your filter. What is the point without a new filter. That's like going 10 k miles and then changing your oil but not the filter.

Plus ford would rather your trans go to shit and then they can sell and install a new one.