trans fluid on crossmember

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got mt expy back on the road. its been sitting for about 3 years b/c of air suspension problems. i bought it from someone a couple weeks ago. Its got 145k and it runs great even though it was sitting up for so long. I did a monroe 90005 air to coil spring conversion kit yesterday and it turned out great. when I was under the truck working I noticed some trans fluid on the cross member and around the bottom on the trans pan. I've only drove it a couple miles around the neighborhood so if there is a slow leak some where there shouldn't be that much fluid down there. can letting it sit that long (3yrs) with out driving it mess up the main seals or is it maybe just the trans pan gasket leaking. spent all my money on parts and can't afford to take it to a shop. usually do all my mechanic work but I suck at transmissions and body work. Any feedback would be appreciated.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Check around the fill tube itself where it enters the tranny. If it leaking from the front seal you should see trans fluid coming from the bell housing. Rear seal is easy to see.

OP
OP
districk81

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
okay im gonna check it out a little closer and see what it looks like. i've never taken a trans out of a ford but if the front seal is leaking it looks like i'll have no choice b/c i surely can't afford to pay someone else to do it. i have a 2000 eddie bauer v8 5.4 2wd how do i tell if i have the 4r100 or 4r70w. And what is the difference between the two if anyone can tell me. is there any good stop leak kinda stuff out there thats any good?

OP
OP
districk81

districk81

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well it looks like its probably the front seal b/c the fluid is leaking out from around the front by the dip stick and the bell housing. i was told to keep plenty of fluid in it and drive it for a while like that because the seals are old and hard and maybe they'll stop leaking after they get hot and that if it still leaks to put a little dot 3 brake fluid in the trany and drive it some more and the brake fluid should swell the seals up and stop the leak. any body ever tried or heard of that before?

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The seals are more than likely leaking because of sitting for so long.
If your not able to fix it or get it fixed right now. Just keep good check on the fluid level so it wont tear up the trans before you get a chance to pull it down. And yes I agree with trying the things you mentioned above. as well as a bottle Lucas trans fluid. You just might be able to get it to stop leaking without taking it down.
Good luck

Banger

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take this as you see fit, I work on diesel school buses (medium duty trucks). Every time I've had leaking o-rings the only sure fix has been replacement. All the other "band aids" mentioned have resulted in aggravating the situation in a short period of time. Will the brake fluid work - sure. It will swell all the o-rings as intended. But for how long? If the o-rings are brittle you will see increase wear rather quickly. They may even start to break up.
What we do at the shop is steam clean around the suspected leak, run up to temp and observe. If nothing shows I go for a "joy" ride and reinspect.
Since you said bell housing, you may be leaking at the torque converter / front pump seal or both.
How well does the trans shift - up and down?