trans issue no check engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well yesterday it was -4 out got up and the heat in the house stopped working and the water-heater sprung a leak. Didn't freeze but a fitting failed. So off tho the parts store.

But wait my car wont go into gear. I figured the shift cable fell off again. Sense it was so cold I called a mechanic I know that would do anything for a 6 pack to crawl under it to put it back on. Well it wasn't off. I hop in it and It kind of goes into gear. Reminded me of driving a standard for the first time where I had to feather the gas and hold the rps to get it to go into gear. Does this in drive and reverse but worse in drive. For the last few months it had a hard time going into 4th when cold. it would hold high rpm for a minute or two but once it shifted once it would be fine for the rest of the time

Fluid level is fine took it for a drive. Once I get past 30 mph it is fine but below that it slips out of gear. Its not violent or anything but at a stop light if I have to stop its almost impossible to catch a the light.

No check engine lights or anything 190000 miles on it. Looking to see if this is a common issue that I can fix without a rebuild or junk yard trans for the moment because its so cold and I don't have a lot of $ kicking around after the holidays. I think its a 4r100 but haven't confirmed. As always any info would be great. Thanks

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Year?
EB or XLT?
4.6 or 5.4?
4wd or 2wd?

Sorry I'm on my phone and can't view much.

Last edited:

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so yes you do have the 4r100 trans. You said the fluid is fine, is that color/odor as well or is that just the level? Sorry for the multiple questions just trying to narrow it down some. Part of me thinks torque converter slippage another part thinks valve body issues(broken springs in valve body). Can't really jump the gun here as both are pretty deep in the tear down phase to get to either components. (Torque converter and springs in valve body)

OP
OP
L

lunchboxlust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so yes you do have the 4r100 trans. You said the fluid is fine, is that color/odor as well or is that just the level? Sorry for the multiple questions just trying to narrow it down some. Part of me thinks torque converter slippage another part thinks valve body issues(broken springs in valve body). Can't really jump the gun here as both are pretty deep in the tear down phase to get to either components. (Torque converter and springs in valve body)

Yes the fluid smells and looks just like when i put it in. I have put 65000 on it. the day I got it I had a power flush filter change and fill. And about 20000 ago I did a drain and fill just cuz. The fluid that came out looked just like when I put it in. Although it has a slow leak so I do add a little bit every now and then. I run all Mobil 1 full synthetic in everything. The transmission isn't something that I can do in the winter... The garage I have access to I cant use in the winter because of storage issues. I called 3 transmission shops and they all said the same thing. That it sounds like the rear, I call it sun gears cant remember what they called it. But they all gave me high low estimate of around 2000-3000$. I'm looking into monster transmissions as we speak.

sorry for the late reply

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might be thinking of planetary gear set...and probably tranmission rebuild time.

If you fix or swap in another consider changing the radiator also. I had a radiator take out a rebuild 6 months after a rebuild. A $100 radiator cost me $1200. Won't make that mistake again.

Last edited: