transfer case fuse tapping (rather than brown wire mods) PICS INCLUDED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jg09

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd show you guys my project that I worked on after I got off work tonight. I wanted to have the ability to disable my auto 4WD in my '99 Eddie Bauer but didn't want something quite as intrusive as the brown wire mod, so here's what I did.

Here are the materials I used. The wire is 14 ga and the fuses are 30 amp
qJRWhZv.jpg

This step is ultimately unnecessary but I deal with a lot of electrical components at work so the frequency of factory defects is something to be concerned about.

"on"
oc6GzNP.jpg

"off"
majfpY4.jpg

Once I determined the switch worked, I went outside and pulled the fuse out of the under hood fuse box. It's #104.
K03V58E.jpg

I ran the wires down through this hole.
0aVSMNv.jpg

Here's where they popped out.
27doDdb.jpg

I used butt connectors and heat shrink tubing to make the connections and keep them weather proof. I also drilled a hole through the fuse box lid and sealed it with silicone sealant.
uXBx1mw.jpg

Fuse holder installed
rwgpiAU.jpg

I couldn't get a great picture, but this is a female ended spade connector with heat shrink tubing shrunk onto it to insulate it down in the fuse box. Both of these press directly onto the tabs that the fuse used to press onto.
aKOj4z9.jpg

Here's where I mounted the switch.
4VyYsW2.jpg

With the switch on, the system works as it did when it rolled out of the Ford factory. With the switch off, the transfercase will not shift whatsoever. In the off position, auto 4WD will not engage, though. I killed power to the circuit and successfully spun the rear tires without engaging the 4WD.