Transmission cooler??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any garage can drop the pan, clean the filter and drain the fluid out.

Should cost around $200 or so, fluid and labor.

This is what I do, I'm not a fan of the powered fluid-exhange machines.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you really have old fluid the only way is to powerflush or at least drain the converter with the filter change if possible. There is alot of fluid in the converter. All the machine does is exchange the fluid, it doesn't run any more pressure than the natural return pressure of the coolant lines. There is alot of crap that gets past the factory filter that needs to get out of the fluid if there are alot of miles...
Just my 2 cents.....
Matt R

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, anytime you change the fluid, the filter needs to be changed too. And like it was mentioned earlier, drain the converter too.

You could take a Mercon bath once yourself and then have a drain plug installed so that changing the fluid will be much easier next time. ;-)

01BlkDisciple

Reaction score
Originally posted by tbird9768
A plate cooler is better than a tube and fin cooler. I have a 28K lb. B&M plate cooler on my tbird.
Same here. B&M on my tbird w/4.6 auto. Works great, planning on maybe doing the same w/the expo. Only drive it on the weekends, but still a good accessory.

johnnystar

Reaction score
trany cooler

I got a eddie bauer, it has been wired for brake box, as well as the several attachments for different trailer configs. etc. So seems to have a good towing package. How do i know whether or not it has a trany cooler or not?

PaisanNYC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine said it came with a heavy duty tranny and heavy duty radiator with a tranny cooler. Dont know how well it works though. I have the 9,000lb towing package on my XLT.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow package includes a tranny cooler, though IMHO it's pretty small and borderline adequate.

Lots of folks add an additional cooler.