Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is find a friend or maybe a trans shop, take a ride in theirs and compare. Mine shifts the same points, hot, or cold. My only complaint is that it doesn't shift from overdrive, back to third, until about 33 mph. I would like it to do the 4-3 light downshift at about 41-44 mph, but it works so well, I don't dare touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i thought it was a 4 speed with OD. Because I see the rpm change and feel it shift 5 times.

Mine is a 4 speed with overdrive...
But mine doesn't shift until I push in the clutch and move the lever. :driver:

But as far as the auto shifting, sounds about right to me. You can buy a programmer and adjust the shifts points to your liking. I know that I wasn't overly impressed with the factory shift settings when I had the 4r100 in my 98.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was reading your original post again. Your 1-2 shift is about right, but the 2-3 is too high. Again my 4r100 shifts same point for both gear shifts. I'd find an experienced trans mechanic and find out problem. Shifting that high for 2-3 up shift can't be easy on the trans. It's possible they have too strong a spring in the valve body that's controlling that up shift, or a defective solenoid or switch. It's troubleshooting time.

OP
OP
dschallmo98expo

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no troubleshooting time for me. I spend 2k on getting the trany rebuilt. it goes back to them and I will not touch it again until its fixed. and I will not give them another dime. 2k is a fully complete rebuild including external electrical parts and valve body springs and any other thing that may be an issue. I hate it when any mechanic takes advantage of anyone or short cuts the repairs. Makes me fume!!!! in the end a lawyer usually fixes all issues!!! hah!!!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow dude, you need to calm down. People come on this site for advice on how to fix their SUV themselves, or to help them when they bring it back to their mechanic. Your problem is fixable by the trans guys, probably something simple like a shift solenoid. Were on your side here remember. Good luck!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is find a friend or maybe a trans shop, take a ride in theirs and compare. Mine shifts the same points, hot, or cold. My only complaint is that it doesn't shift from overdrive, back to third, until about 33 mph. I would like it to do the 4-3 light downshift at about 41-44 mph, but it works so well, I don't dare touch it.

just push the o/d off button to get it to downshift when ever you're ready for it to.

@jchp307; Thanks for the help but honestly I don't know, i never push it that hard. But it shifts perfect when its warmer and it doesn't do it when i let warm up longer.

it won't kill it to get down on it, may even blow some soot off of the cats and valves. :flamingdevil: but it will show if there is another problem like where it's holding a gear too long as was mentioned. if it goes through all the gears fine at wot to say.. 80 or 85 mph where it's safe to do so.

OP
OP
dschallmo98expo

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm fine. just I come here to fix things on my own that I can and then get advice and direction for things that I cannot. its frustrating at times.

jchop307

Reaction score
@jchp307; Thanks for the help but honestly I don't know, i never push it that hard. But it shifts perfect when its warmer and it doesn't do it when i let warm up longer.

it won't kill it to get down on it, may even blow some soot off of the cats and valves. :flamingdevil: but it will show if there is another problem like where it's holding a gear too long as was mentioned. if it goes through all the gears fine at wot to say.. 80 or 85 mph where it's safe to do so.[/quote]
Ok thanks ill give it a try, im gonna also let a good buddy of mine drive it and see what he thinks about it also. He's certified on transmissions, and he also owns a lightning with the 4r100 so he can compare it to his. Thanks again for the help
just push the o/d off button to get it to downshift when ever you're ready for it to.

it won't kill it to get down on it, may even blow some soot off of the cats and valves. :flamingdevil: but it will show if there is another problem like where it's holding a gear too long as was mentioned. if it goes through all the gears fine at wot to say.. 80 or 85 mph where it's safe to do so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: