Transmission Select Shift Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Expy 800 miles, became disabled after stop at local store. I started vehicle, shifted into reverse, message appears on the instrument panel, select shift error. Rotating the shift dial, the red indicator would move to gear I selected while flashing on and off and would automatically return to park. The transmission would not physically shift into reverse, neutral or park. Called Ford Roadside Assistance, who dispatched flatbed truck for tow. Next problem- Could not shift transmission into neutral to pull up on the bed of the flatbed truck. After a phone call to dispatch, the tow driver opened key fob, inserted the actual key into slot inside console and pushed the start button to start the engine. This action cleared the error and once again the vehicle worked normally.
I set service appointment at a more convenient time and will have the dealer review. This Expy was built in early April, after the transmission recall. Think it might be hard for the dealer to detect the root cause of this problem, which if happened one time, obviously could reoccur.

JonJ51

Reaction score
What ever happened with your Expy on this? or What did the dealership say. I drove my brand new Expy off the lot last week, drove it to work, and on my way to lunch while driving I got the shifter error. I got parked and it wouldn't shift into reverse, N, or Drive. Ended up getting it towed and now the dealership got in touch with Ford and they are going to put in a new transmission. It registered 6 codes and Ford didn't pinpoint how or why it happened. Side note, I only had 62miles on it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM and Ford sure are having a lot of issues with the new 8 and 10 speeds. Considering the small sample of owners that are actually forum members I assume this isn’t all that rare. Hopefully just a software bug keep us updated.

JonJ51

Reaction score
Update: Dealership has had my 2018 Expy for about a week and a half now as they were teaming up with the Ford team of engineers to figure out what happened with my transmission. It gave them 6 codes (don't know which codes) but based on those codes they couldn't figure out the root cause. They hooked it up to the computer and cleared the codes. So far the dealership has but close to 90 miles on it to try and duplicate/replicate the fault, no such luck. Very frustrating as there are still no answers. I agreed to take it back so i can drive it.... for now.