Transmission shifts only when engine Revs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christianpk

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer expedition 5.4 4x4. When I go from park to drive sometimes I have to rev the engine. But expedition shifts fine through the gears when driving. It goes in the park fine but sometimes when I go frim reverse to drive I may have to rev the engine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
welcome aboard.

fluid level &/or filter change. how many miles on it? when was the trans last serviced? what does the fluid look/smell like?

OP
OP
C

Christianpk

Reaction score
So I dropped the pan. Replaced the filter. Added 6 quarts and it’s still doing it? It has 173k miles and shifts fine when driving. But just going from park to drive or reverse to drive is the only time it does it.

The old fluid was dark but didn’t smell burnt. No metal on the Magnet.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lazy solenoids, leaking valve body, worn pump seals etc. Unless you can rebuild the trans yourself it is time for a professional diagnosis.

OP
OP
C

Christianpk

Reaction score
I’ll be taking it tomorrow and I’ll let you guys know. Thank you

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had a car that did same thing, right before tranny went. FYI, I had let someone use car. They got stuck in snow and tried to "rock it" out. They told me car sucked and complained, they had to dig it out. Big lesson learned. Have not let anyone borrow or drive car since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Christianpk

Reaction score
Well it’s to much space between the clutch plates. Which isn’t allowing to build up enough pressure. Rebuild....

terryb99

Reaction score
Yep, it is a pressure issue that can be caused by many things. My experience is that your transmission is going to need professional help in the near future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2