Travel Trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 16 expedition so I can tow around a travel trailer to camp. Wife got tired of the tent. I would like to see what you all tow around in your 15-17 expedition. Just to get an idea how big I can go and what experiences you all have had towing travel trailers.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apex Ultralight 300BHS. A bit over 6100 lbs. dry. Close to 7,000 fully loaded. Need to get it on a scale this coming season.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 17 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. GVWR for the camper is 7495lbs. I'm using a Reese dual cam HP hitch for weight distribution and sway control. The Expedition has the HD tow package. The only thing I have done to the Expedition is replace the P rated Goodyears with E rated Mastercraft Courser AXT. I like to keep it at 65 mph max on the highway. The Expedition doesn't have a problem towing it. I had an 07 SWB before this and the extra wheelbase of the EL makes a noticeable difference in stability. Overall I'm getting mid 9MPG towing.
-PAXP-deijE.gif
20901517_10206983520827013_7879332879768555037_o.jpg

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 17 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. GVWR for the camper is 7495lbs. I'm using a Reese dual cam HP hitch for weight distribution and sway control. The Expedition has the HD tow package. The only thing I have done to the Expedition is replace the P rated Goodyears with E rated Mastercraft Courser AXT. I like to keep it at 65 mph max on the highway. The Expedition doesn't have a problem towing it. I had an 07 SWB before this and the extra wheelbase of the EL makes a noticeable difference in stability. Overall I'm getting mid 9MPG towing.
-PAXP-deijE.gif
20901517_10206983520827013_7879332879768555037_o.jpg
Nice, this helps me a lot for reference as to what would be ok to tow. I have the short wheel base 2wd with the towing package and trailer brake.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Lots of us tow campers. Mine is 23 feet and should be under 6000 pounds but the aerodynamics of a brick drop fuel economy significantly when towing. No problems with the "short" wheelbase on my '17.

Trailer brakes are usually mandatory by state law once a trailer hits 2000 pounds and the late Expeditions have very capable brake controllers built into the vehicle.

Over 600 pounds on the ball requires a weight distribution hitch (WDH). I've used the Equalizer (brand) for a decade and highly recommend it over the chain and sliding sway bar arrangement of the cheap devices.

If you have the air suspension keep in mind it has to be Off to set up for a trailer. Same warning for any gimmicks like helper springs and "timbrens" (sic?) which also disguise overloading.

As for what trailer to select I have two "rules" (which I, frankly, made up!) The 1000 Pound Rule states the trailer has to weigh 1000 pounds less than the towing capacity. In this case it is limited to about 8000 pounds. That rule works but is pushing the limit. I'm more happy and use the One Ton Rule which limits the trailer to 2000 pounds less than max capacity to account for those hot summer temperatures, high altitudes, and long grades. This means no more than a 7000 pound trailer. Either of these "rules" are conservative and avoid more than 4th grade math. Somewhere in the middle maybe?

Owning an Expedition strictly for towing a few times a year -- like me -- makes no sense financially. But there it is! :)

-- Chuck

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17 EL Limited and my toy hauler is a 2011 KZ MXT301. 35' long and GVWR is 8800#s. The Expedition will tow every bit of it. Unlike Chuck Ive used a traditional "cheap" bar & chain WD hitch with sliding sway bar for years and shes straight as an arrow running 70 down the hwy.

Since you have the SWB model I wouldn't recommend one as big as me and DF5.4 have. It'll be the tail wagging the dog no matter how good your hitch is or how good your breaks are. If I were you I'd stay in the 25' or less range. Not sure the size of your family as you only mention the wife. We're a family of 5 with me, my wife and 3 small children and we have a UTV and multiple ATV's so we needed something big. I purposely bought the EL just because of this very reason.

I just bought a tuner for my ride so I can get some more performance out of her especially a torque boost so I can tow more efficiently. Like DF5 above I plan to upgrade my tires to an E rated model at some point. The OEM Hankooks are good but you'll get a better ride out of the stouter tire when towing heavy. If I'm really conservative and stay between 65-70mph I can get 11-12 mpg. Good luck with whatever trailer you choose

IMG_5650.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol you two and your passive aggressive argument on the WD hitches:D. With a proper WD hitch set up either or should be able to tow similarly as they are rated the same. The wheelbase is only 12” difference from an standard to an EL (119,131), not a huge difference. For example my expy is 119”, while my F-350 is 158” now that’s a big difference and would be very noticeable control wise hauling that (but my expy rides soooo much better, but they are two different rigs). Maybe the EL does have more stability in a strong cross wind because of the extra 12” of wheelbase because an extra foot is an extra foot at the end of the day but a standard length should do it. I’d agree with the stay at or below 8,000 statement to be safe.

Last edited:

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think if you use a WDH and stay under 8,000 lbs you can tow safely with either the EL or regular. I agree with Chuck's math above and stay conservative on max weight. I pulled our 30' trailer out to the Black Hills and back last summer with no issues. Never over 70 mph and on the flats about 11.5 MPG, in the hillier sections, about 9.5MPG. I use the clip on mirrors to help me see around the breadbox behind me. You always get that one guy that thinks he can get better mileage by drafting you. I usually do a little swerve motion to double check if someone's there. Wireless camera is the next upgrade.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can see our 20' R-Pod in my avatar pic...weight usually tops out at about 3100 lbs. 2014 LTD with HD tow package. Andersen WDH and anti-sway system, Michelin tires for a smooth ride all the time. Average 12 mpg on highways and Western mountains combined. We camp in tight boondocking spots so smaller trailer works perfect for us.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17 EL Limited and my toy hauler is a 2011 KZ MXT301. 35' long and GVWR is 8800#s. The Expedition will tow every bit of it. Unlike Chuck Ive used a traditional "cheap" bar & chain WD hitch with sliding sway bar for years and shes straight as an arrow running 70 down the hwy.

Since you have the SWB model I wouldn't recommend one as big as me and DF5.4 have. It'll be the tail wagging the dog no matter how good your hitch is or how good your breaks are. If I were you I'd stay in the 25' or less range. Not sure the size of your family as you only mention the wife. We're a family of 5 with me, my wife and 3 small children and we have a UTV and multiple ATV's so we needed something big. I purposely bought the EL just because of this very reason.

I just bought a tuner for my ride so I can get some more performance out of her especially a torque boost so I can tow more efficiently. Like DF5 above I plan to upgrade my tires to an E rated model at some point. The OEM Hankooks are good but you'll get a better ride out of the stouter tire when towing heavy. If I'm really conservative and stay between 65-70mph I can get 11-12 mpg. Good luck with whatever trailer you choose

IMG_5650.jpg

You got a family of 5 and luggage AND trailer pushing the tow limit unloaded, which you pile up with all sorts of stuff????

And you're running P tires????

Technically youre waaaaaay above your weight limit and probably shouldnt do it at all, just fyi. But if you DO, you should probably have E rated LT tires aired up to like 70 psi or even full 80. Youve got like 18 000 lbs total when you add it all together.

....none of that street tire hankookery

PS although really you should just play it safe and legal and trade your Expy for the biggest cab Superduty with all the tow upgrades and the biggest diesel engine available. And be all safe and compliant.

Last edited: