trying to remove the rear cv shaft on a 2005 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I have a 2005 ford expedition and am trying to remove the rear cv axle. I have everything off except I cant remove the splines out of the rear end. I was told there was a clip? but is it inside the housing or outside ? and if not then how do you remove it ?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just use a pry bar in between the inner CV joint and the differential to pop it out. You just have to overcome the circlip that's retaining it. Make sure the shaft is free from the outer hub first. It doesn't take that much pressure. Did you already buy a new replacement half shaft ?

-Mike

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you use a pry bar, pay attention to where the bar is going to pivot since that will have a high amount of pressure applied to it. Steel usually dents but aluminum breaks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cowboy, looked at both Orellys and Auto zone, they rent the slide hammer puller, but not the adapter you'll need. Like Stamp said be real careful if your going the pry bar method. Personally I'd buy the adapter you need, and rent the tool. Sure their available separately. The tool rental is free, after return. Hate to see you break anything on such a simple part change!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I had to remove the spindle and when I did that I pulled the cv joint out but left the splines in the rear end I have not got a new cv axle yet I had to have the spindle and cv axle pressed out

OP
OP
C

cnacowboy

Reaction score
ok so just one question do I have to pull the rear end cover to get at the clip?