Turbo Boost causes CB buzz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc3

Reaction score
One of the noise sources in my CB radio appears to be associated with the Turbo boost pump kicking in. Has anybody else seen this? Is there a fix?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Turbo Boost Pump? Huh?

That question and statement aside, Electrical noise in any CB, GMRS, or Ham Radio mounted in a vehicle typically comes down to the ground, and either lack of one, or one that was poorly installed.

OP
OP
cmc3

cmc3

Reaction score
Turbo Boost Pump? Huh?

That question and statement aside, Electrical noise in any CB, GMRS, or Ham Radio mounted in a vehicle typically comes down to the ground, and either lack of one, or one that was poorly installed.
I'll go back in and look. Possibly add a ground strap. I didn't put multiple ferrite chokes on the +12 which helped. The turbo boost kicks in when you accelerate and drops once you are at speed. I listened to the noise for awhile to associate the sound. There is other noise associated with engine rpm. I'm thinking of adding 0.1uF disks to the +12 feeding each ignition coil. Leaky insulation on the ignition coil could also be a source.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your CB have a permanently mounted antenna like an NMO style? What is VSWR?. How is the CB radio grounded? Where exactly are the (+) and (-) leads connected?

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible alternator noise that's based on rpm? If your making boost engine is typically underload and climbing in rpm. Just a thought

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll go back in and look. Possibly add a ground strap. I didn't put multiple ferrite chokes on the +12 which helped. The turbo boost kicks in when you accelerate and drops once you are at speed. I listened to the noise for awhile to associate the sound. There is other noise associated with engine rpm. I'm thinking of adding 0.1uF disks to the +12 feeding each ignition coil. Leaky insulation on the ignition coil could also be a source.
OK, Well there is no such thing as a Turbo Boost Pump...Just saying.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does your CB have a permanently mounted antenna like an NMO style? What is VSWR?. How is the CB radio grounded? Where exactly are the (+) and (-) leads connected?
What does VSWR have to do with this? As long as the antenna line is not running parallel to a power line and insulated properly, it should not be part of this issue…

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What does VSWR have to do with this? As long as the antenna line is not running parallel to a power line and insulated properly, it should not be part of this issue…
Indeed all of my questions are very relevant to the problem the OP has requested help in resolving.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Indeed all of my questions are very relevant to the problem the OP has requested help in resolving.
Wasn’t questioning that, just trying to figure out your logic for VSWR. That measurement has very little bearing on the OP’s issue.

Dahammer

Reaction score
Food for thought: Many moons ago, I remember that the antenna had to be grounded, and the spark plugs had to be resistors. Back then, the lettering started with the letter R followed by numbers. That was then I not sure if that is the case today.