Turbo noise...(video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Passenger turbo or wastegate is making a noise and I’m not sure which it is. My drivers turbo failed and was replaced under warranty but it never made this noise. So I’m confused. Boost is good:
fa96950ad8d15b6c56e9348779182f1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes right at the very beginning. It goes away quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Muddy, that is def spool up noise....but you're right, typically not heard on a turbo setup like ours. I'd isolate which unit it is. I wonder the bearing condition of the offender. Usually, a turbo spools up with so little resistance that you barely hear it on the intake side but if the bearings are misfit or worn, the resistance will cause the shaft to speed up slower and the air to make more "noise" as it deflects off the vanes. It could also be something as minor as a loose clamp(my guess) or a heat shield or the like coming off, causing you to hear different sounds. My supercharger on my car has sound deadening devices on the intake side to cut down on that exact sound. I removed mine after 10 years because I kinda like it!

Happy New Year

jeff

I wanted to clarify....most turbos do not have "bearings", they have thrust washers/seals(think piston ring configuration) and run in an oil bearing. I didn't want to lead anyone to walk into their local shop and tell them they might need "turbo bearings" b/c they just might see you as a $$$$$! LOL

Last edited: