UDPs and E-fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expy916

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have a few questions. I know from what I have read that UDPs and e-fans make a great combo together and I was wondering if this kit would be a good idea.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907922+4294924666+4294925232+115&autoview=sku

Also I would like to know how easy/hard it is to do the setup that ELVATO did to his Expedition on a 2000 4.6, and what would be the benefits of both mods or just UDPs alone.

I know that this has been discussed before but I want a straight foward answer as soon as possible since I will be taking the Expy down to Mexico City very soon and would like to improve fuel economy.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did mine on a 2003 4.6 Expedition.

Out of the two, the e-fans was probably easier. They both cost around the same, if you do what I did. I got the Summit branded UDP (I think only 160 shipped). For the e-fan, it was around 200 (60 for a Mark VIII e-fan, 130ish for a DC controller, and 6 bucks for a zip ties from Autozone (goes through the radiator).

Out of which one I felt more, I'm not sure. If you want to kinnda feel what e-fans feel like, on a cool night, take off your stock clutch fan (you can rent the wrench from Autozone.) Drive around. You should be OK as long as you don't idle for too long, and you keep the speeds above 30. Actually, you don't need fans above around 30 since more air is being forced in than what the fan is able to pull.

As for the pulleys, you'll want to rent a harmonic dampner pulling kit from Autzone (around 70 bucks, you'll get your money back when you return it). The one I rented also came with an installer. You'll probably also want a torque wrench (it's the ones you can adjust how much torque you apply). I only installed the dampner (crank pulley) and the water pump pulley. I decided against the alternator pulley since I still have the stock battery (about 3 years old) and it doesn't hold a charge as well. Don't want to have problems if I had to idle for too long somewhere. I'll probably put it on once I get a new battery (hoping for an Optima.)

With both of those mods on, the engine is a lot quieter. You can almost sneak up on people. :D It also seems to coast longer. Also, the Expy seems "lighter" and "jumpy" for lack of better words.

I would have done a how-to post on the pulleys, but I didn't take any good pictures. I just basically followed the directions that came with the pulleys. Also, this thread helped out.

Also, careful and have a safe trip when going down to Mexico. We've driven down there, but never in Mexico City (mostly Pachuca). Too much traffic, and the possibility of getting the truck stolen kinnda convinced us to just ride cabs everywhere. Enjoy the food, I know I do. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

expy916

Reaction score
I have an 8-rib set up on the expy so I have to use the BBK kit, I also have all the tools needed to install so as soon as there is enough $$$ I am going to order from summit, I also have to replace the a/c compressor.

Do I HAVE to use a Mark VIII or can I use a fan for summit, if so what is the minimum CFM for the fan to keep the engine cool, keep in mind the mountains of northern Mexico on Highway 57 and having the expy fully loaded with luggage and over 1,000lbs in passengers.

I also have a 160 temp thermostat, if that affects anything. Also would the fan from a 91 Ford SHO work?

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One Mark VIII fan should do the job of 2 14" fans, giving you up to 5200 CFMs at full speed, plus have good reliability. You can pick them up from junk yards for 30 bucks, but I was lazy and got mine online. I really don't know how much cheaper you can go without compromising reliability.

I don't know the CFM ratings for a 91 SHO, but I think it's lower than that of the Mark VIII. I'm not sure about the cooling requirement of the engine, but I figure the more, the better.

As I said before, the only time the fans only really need to come on is in stop in go traffic.

You probably already know this, but I'd turn off the O/D when you're in the mountains. Maybe even drive in 2nd gear or something. Don't want your brakes to fade out up there.

I don't know about the whole thermostat thing, but I've heard that the optimal operating temp for these engines is around 203 F.

OP
OP
E

expy916

Reaction score
I have 8 rib pullies but summit shows only a 6 for their brand but in the link it shows you have summit brand, do you have 8 or 6, also how do I know if I have long or short waterpump?

Yup O/D off in the mountains, you know is funny watching semis with up to 3 full length trailers and many many tires roll up the Mexican mountains soooooooooooooo slow you could count the lug nuts.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems I have a 6 rib system.

Here's what my engine used to look like.
SNV34994.jpg

As for the semis, yea, it's kinnda funny, but them guys know the route. One time we followed on of those guys through the mountains at night, when it was foggy like crazy. You could barely see the car ahead of you. We made it out fine. :)

OP
OP
E

expy916

Reaction score
Queretaro to Ixmiquilpan to Actopan was scary as F*** two years ago with stock lighting in the middle of the night with the stupid "curva peligrosa" signs that were placed right as you got to the 90degree turns.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have them, I'd maybe invest in some fogs lights or something. It kinnda sucks that sometimes, those roads are the worst up-kept, with missing paint and reflective markers. Just be careful out there. :)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man. I would rather get something a little better. I mean, there are people that run 20 dollar fan controllers from Autozone, no problem.

The problem I see is that the Mark VIII fans need a lot of amps to start up (I think it's like 85+) and about 35 amps continuous to keep it at full speed. The DC Controller gets around this problem by soft starting the fan (starting it off slow, then gradually increasing the speed.) I have yet to see mine run at full speed.

If you don't like the DC Controller, I think SPAL makes a soft start model as well.

I think green03 also runs a set up similar to mine. Maybe he can chime in, as he has a much better understanding of motors.