Unknown issue with surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay took it out for a longer drive today and had to get fuel. I asked for it to be filled and a little over 3/4 the way to full it started dripping fuel from some place around the tank, could be the filler. Person I bought it from claimed dealership had just installed a new fuel pump, have not confirmed this reapir yet.

Okay so that was issue #1, next it feel like there is a miss under load but not always and seems to lack much power above 55. When at 60MPH light load on the engine while in OD the miss, shudder, sputter whatever you wish to call it seems worse until it kicks itself out of OD. Takes some serious throttle to get moving past 60 MPH but once above it will maintain. Now I did just step out of a 7.4L (454) with 4.10 gears before this so maybe the 4.6L and whatever gears makes me feel a power issue but the miss/shudder/sputter is obvious not related to cubic inches.

I have read on here coil packs, tune ups, torque convert and so forth, maybe cats clogging and so forth.

Oh yes when climbing a good hill under heavy acceleration the check engine light blinks but goes out after you throttle back out.

So any ideas (feel like this is a Dr. House vehicle illness scene, lol)

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My first thought is: Needs tune up!
In my experience you will notice worn plugs under hard acceleration and/or high RPM's. Well, that's what my last Expy with a 4.6 did...
Do you know when (or if) the last time it had a new set of plugs?
Also, dirty fuel filter could cause same issues.

Did you run a scan to see what the CEL was indicating? I would guess a multiple cylinder misfire. Code P0300

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No idea what has or had not been done tune up wise and only taking sellers word for the fuel pump.

I need to get me a scan tool for this but likely will see what Ford charges to tune it up, I am sure it likely needs it or at least it wont hurt it. If I was less busted up physically I would try it myself but unable to anymore.

Kansas Gary

Reaction score
If your Ford dealers around you are like mine they wont even touch a gen 1 in there shop. The one around me said to take it to a general car shop to get a tune-up. He said and I quote " my guys don't even know how to open the hood on that old of a truck.".............LOL

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your Ford dealers around you are like mine they wont even touch a gen 1 in there shop. The one around me said to take it to a general car shop to get a tune-up. He said and I quote " my guys don't even know how to open the hood on that old of a truck.".............LOL

I just think tjey dont want to be blamed for blowing a plug.. cause you know they know it happens to our trucks.

Duffy

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing!!

Hello:

Have you been able to figure this out yet??

My 1998 5.4 is doing the same thing minus the fuel leak.

I will be really interested to see what the fix is for this.

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello:

Have you been able to figure this out yet??

My 1998 5.4 is doing the same thing minus the fuel leak.

I will be really interested to see what the fix is for this.

Well being the frugal person I am and not wanting to pay Ford to hook it to a scanner I am waiting for my brand new scan tool to get here, will know on the 28th if FEDEX dont take a vacation with is. Harbor Freight already felt the need to wait 3 days to ship it out (hate that). As soon as I see what codes are tossed (even though engine light is not on but has blinked so should have stored issues) I will take it to Ford and get it done. As for the fuel leak I was supposed to get called back Monday but will call today to see if they will cover it since they are the ones that worked on it replacing the fuel pump less than 2 weeks ago. My idea is to have the surge isue solved, a lube and oil done and fix the leak.

I will post as soon as I find out on here.

B

bedrck46

You could have taken it to advanced auto or auto zone and had the codes read

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could have taken it to advanced auto or auto zone and had the codes read

Yeah after I ordered it I was introduced to access via Autozone, O'Reily's, and a friend with a Snap-On scanner as well. So Im slow lol

OP
OP
spud

spud

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay got my reader and still learning with it but the stored code was a P0401 and I cleared it. After clearing letting it idle and such no code, drove it though and for a bit no sputter but then it started its thing and when I got to a spot I could stop that same P0401 code was there again. Very little checking so far but 1st thing that comes up is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected, that goes on about EGR, vacuum hoses, exhaust plugged, wires to sensors and so on. Hmm so much for a simple here is a spark plug issue, yeah me.