Unknown problem, need your help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sorry about the vague title but don't know how to label what just happened. Here goes:

Just had the #5 cylinder spark plug replaced, CEL wouldn't go off so I had to unplug the computer, everything ran fine, my little plug in computer that reads error codes came up with nothing. Took her for a spin down the road and here's what happened:

Right around 50mph I get the feeling like it's misfiring again, but no CEL and although a little sluggish going up or down hills, ran as she always would. Suddenly coming from a dead stop I started to notice my MPH gauge go up to 100+, I was barely doing 10mph. My trucks RPM would randomly go from 1-2K then drop off, while the MPH gauge kept at 100+ and didn't move. NO CEL came on at anytime. RPM would rev up to 2k no matter how hard I hit the gas, nothing, dropped it to 1st gear, no effect, 2nd, no effect. As I was coming down a hill the whole thing stalled out, lost all power. Luckly driving ambulances and having this issue happen with them, I'm used to stopping a ton of weight and knew how to handle the truck. Came to a stop, still no CEL or codes being produced.

I started her up and she ran perfectly fine the rest of the way home.

I'm scratching my head on this one guys and am open to any thoughts or suggestions as to what the hell happened. Thank you all for your time.

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ran it 30 miles when I got home and it ran fine now, no issues at all.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this in the wrong section? As I'm not getting any bites.

Could a mod move it to the correct section please if it's wrong? Thank you.

yammerslammer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe bad fuel or a partially clogged filter. As for the guages, I have no clue. Maybe your computer was just having a hard time reseting itself.

OP
OP
T

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took it out last night, and CEL came on again, cylinder 5 is misfiring again. Solid CEL was on too. I just replaced the COP not 2/3 weeks ago. It ran fine for the most part. I did notice a ton of hesitation around 50mph. I also started to hear a ping as I went faster. Similar to a low octane ping.

Any thoughts?