Unusual Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04exped

Reaction score
I have a 2004 expediton 5.4L
there is a noise coming from underneath of it, its not real loud as in the guy next to me can hear it. Initially i thought it was the hub bearing and so it went to ford dealership and the said it was the right front hub bearing. I replaced it but the noise continues. I am told that it may be the front differential but how does it go bad? I was considering disconnecting it, but by the wheels still being connected i don't think it would do any good.

Any suggestions?
i am new to the site and just looking for help.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need more info. Is this noise just occurring while in motion? At a certain speed? Can you describe the sound?

OP
OP

04exped

Reaction score
no air suspension.
the noise is more like gears turning, like and air plane eeeeern??
at 20 mph is when it starts and continues. only when in motion although i have not tried it in reverse.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be a wheel bearing then. There was someone else who had a similar problem, maybe search for it, and it ended up being a rear wheel bearing. Differentials will start whining when they don't get proper lube (that's the primary reason anyhow).

Does it sound like a whining or more like a grinding noise?

Last edited:
OP
OP

04exped

Reaction score
Hope this helps someone else
it turned out to be the front diff gear box.. and the electronic component that uses a vacuum i believe to engage and disengage 4 wheel drive. i really hope this helps someone else.
the noise is completely gone now..