USB pulsing on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiddKid

Reaction score
Picked up our 2018 Expy Max on Saturday night. Yesterday, Sunday, I was getting it all set up and noticed my first problem. Upon plugging my phone into the USB chargers, it was constantly pulsing charging, not charging, charging, not charging. I tried the other USB port. Same thing. I swapped out the cable. Same thing. I tried my wife's phone. Same thing.

Since then we've had a few experiences where it works and stays on, but then the next time we try it, it doesn't. Related...when it is pulsing, CarPlay doesn't launch. Those few times we've gotten it work and stay on, CarPlay launches and works fine.

So odd. Going to head to the dealer on Wednesday for them to take a look. Anyone else have this? I'm assuming not and this is a one-off thing.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If is more than a simple loose connection makes sure you document everything that transpires between you and the dealer. Should it be necessary, they are going to try and avoid tearing into the electrical harness while under warranty.
Hopefully it will be a simple parts swap.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up our 2018 Expy Max on Saturday night. Yesterday, Sunday, I was getting it all set up and noticed my first problem. Upon plugging my phone into the USB chargers, it was constantly pulsing charging, not charging, charging, not charging. I tried the other USB port. Same thing. I swapped out the cable. Same thing. I tried my wife's phone. Same thing.

Since then we've had a few experiences where it works and stays on, but then the next time we try it, it doesn't. Related...when it is pulsing, CarPlay doesn't launch. Those few times we've gotten it work and stay on, CarPlay launches and works fine.

So odd. Going to head to the dealer on Wednesday for them to take a look. Anyone else have this? I'm assuming not and this is a one-off thing.

Like Artie said I’m thinking it’s your cables. Are you trying the ones you use at home? The store bought ones are so cheap I’ve had them not work brand new and can’t tell you how many I’ve gone through, possible you had two bad cables with you.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the OP's first post he stated that he did swap cables, so that would usually rule out a cable problem.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had replacment iPhone cables fail right out of the packaging. Not sure how the fit is in the Expy but in the ‘18 Navi my iPhone 7 causes a pretty defined bend right at the connector at the phone which, in most of my cable failures, is the failure hotspot. Either way this sounds like a easy fix regardless.

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
Have tried 3 cables. 1 that I’ve used in a previous vehicle and CarPlay worked flawlessly. The other two cables were original Apple cables. All exhibit the same behavior. Not the cables.