USB pulsing on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a coworker has an Android phone ask them to plug it in as a test. Make a video of the results to show the dealer that it isn't your Apple phone.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IDK bout what's in the new gen but my wireless charger laying in the console tray "pulses" as it charges my V30.....there is a red light (not charging) and blue for charging and the blue comes on every 2-3 seconds then goes out...it pulses....but it's charging the whole time....FWIW

jeff

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wireless charger was doing the same thing. Then I realized that it was tied to the auto start stop. When I'm stopped at a red light, and the engine shuts down, my wireless charger stops charging. Maybe the USB pulsing is due to the same?

OP
OP
M

MiddKid

Reaction score
My wireless charger was doing the same thing. Then I realized that it was tied to the auto start stop. When I'm stopped at a red light, and the engine shuts down, my wireless charger stops charging. Maybe the USB pulsing is due to the same?

Nope. Nothing to do with start/stop. I drove my daughter to soccer practice at 5:30pm the other night. Pulsing happening the entire drive. Unplugged and re-plugged the cable 10 times. wouldn't charge continuously or launch CarPlay. She was in the passenger seat trying to get it to work.

At 7pm I went to pick her up. Worked perfectly the entire trip there and back. Unplugged and re-plugged the cable 10 times...worked perfectly each time. CarPlay launched and continuous charging.

It's like something triggers at the beginning of the trip and then either works or doesn't from that point on.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Nothing to do with start/stop. I drove my daughter to soccer practice at 5:30pm the other night. Pulsing happening the entire drive. Unplugged and re-plugged the cable 10 times. wouldn't charge continuously or launch CarPlay. She was in the passenger seat trying to get it to work.

At 7pm I went to pick her up. Worked perfectly the entire trip there and back. Unplugged and re-plugged the cable 10 times...worked perfectly each time. CarPlay launched and continuous charging.

It's like something triggers at the beginning of the trip and then either works or doesn't from that point on.
MiddKid - Any follow-up on this?

I have the same problem, although I think it is a CarPlay issue. Occasionally (maybe 1 in 5 times?), when I plug my iPhone in, CarPlay does not launch, and the charge cycles on and off. If I go into the settings and disable CarPlay, the cycling stops and the phone charges as normal. Related: the same instances in which this occurs, I get a "no GPS" indication on my native navigation (see photo below). And just as you said, its a trip-long issue....if it works when I try the first time, I have no problem, if it doesn't, it's not going to work for the entire ride.

I'm thinking there is some miscommunication between the car and the phone. The car thinks I want to run CarPlay but one of the devices is dropping the ball. So one of them (I think the car) keeps trying to establish the connection (hence the power cycling). This jives with the fact that the problem resolves when I disable CarPlay in the center stack because the car no longer tries to make the connection. My guess would be the "no GPS" indication is because the system thinks I'm running CarPlay so it's relying on the phone's GPS...but the phone wont connect.

It's clearly not a cable/hardware issue because it charges perfectly when I disable CarPlay. My question is, I guess, is this a CarPlay software gremlin or a Sync software gremlin?

In any case, I am very interested to know if you ever got resolution with your dealer. Thanks!!!no gps.jpg

War Wagon

Reaction score
So I travel a ton for work and I have this issue all the time with Android Auto in rental cars around the country. Wish I knew of a solution. I know my cable is good because when it works, it works.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess would be the "no GPS" indication is because the system thinks I'm running CarPlay so it's relying on the phone's GPS...but the phone wont connect.
This isn't a thing. The GPS system in your Expedition is far more accurate than that in your phone. Though they are both very accurate, your vehicle's bigger antenna will be more accurate, and it doesn't have to worry about managing battery. CarPlay relies on your vehicle to provide GPS information, as far as I know. Everything I've read about installing an aftermarket CarPlay-enabled head unit mentions that you will want to make sure you buy the adapter to connect your car's built-in GPS system to the new unit because it will do this.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This isn't a thing. The GPS system in your Expedition is far more accurate than that in your phone. Though they are both very accurate, your vehicle's bigger antenna will be more accurate, and it doesn't have to worry about managing battery. CarPlay relies on your vehicle to provide GPS information, as far as I know. Everything I've read about installing an aftermarket CarPlay-enabled head unit mentions that you will want to make sure you buy the adapter to connect your car's built-in GPS system to the new unit because it will do this.
So any ideas as to why my Expi disables its own gps when it is trying to hook up to CarPlay but can't?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire