Use 360 camera as dash cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assumed at first that this would be easy to do but I can’t find any info online.

I’d like to get a dash cam installed and my expedition already has cameras all the way around it! Has anyone figured out how to just record footage from those cameras without needing to install a whole new camera inside the vehicle?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
assumed it would be easy!!! LOL Im sorry, dont mean to insult but......

Rick Anjel

Reaction score
You would think Ford would offer this in future models and as an option | upgrade for current models that have the 360 cameras..... but I think only Tesla has it at the moment.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dash cams are good but be warned they work both ways....they capture your mistakes too, and if your mistake results in a serious crash the recording could be seized as evidence. They may need a subpoena to view it but the police can seize and protect potential evidence from being destroyed. Any crash that results in serious injury or death the vehicles will be impounded and inspected for equipment malfunctions. Heck, the traffic division would even run an OBD scanner on some vehicles. Now think about how some insurance companies are going to apps or other devices to track your driving habits. I told my agent the 5% discount isn’t worth big brother watching my every move. Today it’s a discounted rate, tomorrow it a device to estimate your risk to insure. So my point is be cautious when you have any device that records or tracks your driving behaviors as they may be used against you, if not today than in the very near future.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have dash cams in all my vehicles. Yes, they can be used against you, so if you're a shit driver maybe best to not have one? Haha. I've had an incident where the dash cam saved me and another where a drunken road rage driver tried to run into my daughter and then tried to run her off the road and the dash cam in her car caught it all and the license plate number.

For some reason, vehicle makers have been resistant to integrating recording or dash cam functionality even when all the components already exist in the vehicle. That is starting to change as of late, not so much because of consumer demand, but pressure from the insurance industry. What some makers like Tesla, BMW, Porsche, etc.. are doing with their multiple cameras and recording is pretty phenomenal.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have dash cams in all my vehicles. Yes, they can be used against you, so if you're a shit driver maybe best to not have one? Haha. I've had an incident where the dash cam saved me and another where a drunken road rage driver tried to run into my daughter and then tried to run her off the road and the dash cam in her car caught it all and the license plate number.

For some reason, vehicle makers have been resistant to integrating recording or dash cam functionality even when all the components already exist in the vehicle. That is starting to change as of late, not so much because of consumer demand, but pressure from the insurance industry. What some makers like Tesla, BMW, Porsche, etc.. are doing with their multiple cameras and recording is pretty phenomenal.

I guess I'll be buying older cars in the near future! lol.
This technology is a joke.

Jeka

Reaction score
Storage encryption is must, so nobody can get your footage without your consent. Unfortunately that is not common in the industry.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It means that I'm smart enough to realize that when automakers start integrating dash cams, its not for our safety in any way, its another way for big brother to monitor us. I don't do anything illegal, but I'm not volunteering to be babysat. Its just another small step to cripple us.

If I want a dash cam, I'll put my own in and use it for myself, not for big brother to babysit each and every one of us even more.

Its not the camera I'm against, its the camera that's designed by the wrong idiots and forced down our throats, its coming.....