Used 87 instead of 93...check engine light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@PhoenixRizez ....I don't know why you can't get 93 out here. Maybe some stores do in other states, though I haven't seen it (think CA, CO, UT, NM). As far as AZ, not that I've been in every station, but I don't recall ever seeing anything higher than 91, much to my surprise after we moved here.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf ....I'm just a little confused by your posts. I've only had half a cup of coffee so far, but....something is amiss here. In the Ford brochure it states 375 for the regular 3.5 on 87, and on the platinum 400, IF you run 93. So C/D says it's 360/380 wheel. So, is Ford lying or is C/D? Or is it my misunderstanding? Either way, spending $10-12 bucks per fill up for 20 hp around town doesn't seem worth it. I need more coffee.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf ....I'm just a little confused by your posts. I've only had half a cup of coffee so far, but....something is amiss here. In the Ford brochure it states 375 for the regular 3.5 on 87, and on the platinum 400, IF you run 93. So C/D says it's 360/380 wheel. So, is Ford lying or is C/D? Or is it my misunderstanding? Either way, spending $10-12 bucks per fill up for 20 hp around town doesn't seem worth it. I need more coffee.
Neither. You are misunderstanding. Following your logic, the Non-Platinum 18-21 4th gen would make 400HP on 93, just like your Platinum. That is incorrect. You are also assuming that Ford's 375 rating is with 87 in the tank for the Non-Platinum's, that is also incorrect. BOTH the 375 for Non-Platinum 18-21 4th Gens, and the 400 for Platinum 18-21 4th Gens are both determined using a fuel Standard equivalent to about 92 Octane.

In addition, what I posted was for the 2019 Limited F150, as a point of Data to show how much the Octane makes difference in power and knock on these engines. The Limited 150's of that 13th Gen were a HO motor more closely related to the new HO's found in the 22+ Expeditions. It factory rating at the crank with the Fuel Standard is 450. So its wheel HP will be higher than yours in general.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
LOL, the only thing I see through all those numbers is my root argument, higher octane equals more power, at least in this particular vehicle. I’ve seen that test result before and used it to justify paying for the 93, and hopefully, with the 304A SPP, my numbers are even a little higher than the one they tested, but that sport tuning only works well with the higher octane, it’s tuned to take advantage of it.

But even if I don’t get the full 440 HP they brag about, I gave up my Corvette so my wife could drive this bad boy, so I want to squeeze every little galloping horse I can out of this beast. And if I can even get just an extra 20-40 HP by running 93 octane, I’m happy to drop the extra $20/tank for it.

I might not launch off the line like I used to, but I’m content with getting this monster 0-60 in just under 5 seconds

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf ..I guess I understand, but, per the brochure, 2018 non-plat were rated at 375. Part of the "advantage" of going platinum was the higher trim and the extra 25 hp (400). Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, and since I can't the the 93 octane, it's a mute point. I originally was looking at Limited's, but the way dealers equipped them at the time, you could get a platinum for about the same money. Thank you for explaining all of this.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL, the only thing I see through all those numbers is my root argument, higher octane equals more power, at least in this particular vehicle. I’ve seen that test result before and used it to justify paying for the 93, and hopefully, with the 304A SPP, my numbers are even a little higher than the one they tested, but that sport tuning only works well with the higher octane, it’s tuned to take advantage of it.

But even if I don’t get the full 440 HP they brag about, I gave up my Corvette so my wife could drive this bad boy, so I want to squeeze every little galloping horse I can out of this beast. And if I can even get just an extra 20-40 HP by running 93 octane, I’m happy to drop the extra $20/tank for it.

I might not launch off the line like I used to, but I’m content with getting this monster 0-60 in just under 5 seconds
Actually if you are using 93E10 you are probably in some cases seeing MORE that 440 at the crank. Slightly more Octane than the Fuel standard used for Certification, and the advantage of Ethanol for evaporative cooling. A tune will help that even more.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@LokiWolf ..I guess I understand, but, per the brochure, 2018 non-plat were rated at 375. Part of the "advantage" of going platinum was the higher trim and the extra 25 hp (400). Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, and since I can't the the 93 octane, it's a mute point. I originally was looking at Limited's, but the way dealers equipped them at the time, you could get a platinum for about the same money. Thank you for explaining all of this.
CORRECT. They are rated at 375 using a standard fuel that is about 92 Octane. Yours is rated 400 with the standard fuel. SO, if running 87 netted about a 5% decrease percentage wise on the F150 used in the Car and Driver Test, using VERY rough Math.

Your(18-21 Platinum) on 87 is about 380 at the Crank.
18-21 Non-Platinum on 87 is about 356 at the Crank.

Make sense? Your Platinum has different tuning on it, and the same fuel it will have more power.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CORRECT. They are rated at 375 using a standard fuel that is about 92 Octane. Yours is rated 400 with the standard fuel. SO, if running 87 netted about a 5% decrease percentage wise on the F150 used in the Car and Driver Test, using VERY rough Math.

Your(18-21 Platinum) on 87 is about 380 at the Crank.
18-21 Non-Platinum on 87 is about 356 at the Crank.

Make sense? Your Platinum has different tuning on it, and the same fuel it will have more power.
Do you ever get tired of explaining this? lol