Used 87 instead of 93...check engine light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf Either way, spending $10-12 bucks per fill up for 20 hp around town doesn't seem worth it. I need more coffee.
The higher octane fuel actually delivers better mpg as well, which partially offsets the higher price. I did the math before, I think it was like 50% of the price premium was offset. It's also easier on the motor oil due to less fuel dilution.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@JasonH ...Not to continue to beat this dead horse, but I used to run premium for the HP, second, to run better. So, to quote me, $12-15 bucks for 10-15 HP isn't worth it...to ME. I've never seen my gas mileage "better" with premium. I track every tank. At least, nothing major enough to say, "gotta run premium". I think it's very hard to ever compare tank to tank. Different roads, different traffic, different temps, etc. I will say, since I broke 50K miles, my gas mileage is up, consistently, by about 10%....using regular. I will admit, it does run smoother and has more grunt running premium. I do put in premium sometimes if I'm topping off. Other than that, regular it is. I don't really care anymore as my truck is five years old and I don't really think it'll be here next year, but who knows.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@JasonH ...Not to continue to beat this dead horse, but I used to run premium for the HP, second, to run better. So, to quote me, $12-15 bucks for 10-15 HP isn't worth it...to ME. I've never seen my gas mileage "better" with premium. I track every tank. At least, nothing major enough to say, "gotta run premium". I think it's very hard to ever compare tank to tank. Different roads, different traffic, different temps, etc. I will say, since I broke 50K miles, my gas mileage is up, consistently, by about 10%....using regular. I will admit, it does run smoother and has more grunt running premium. I do put in premium sometimes if I'm topping off. Other than that, regular it is. I don't really care anymore as my truck is five years old and I don't really think it'll be here next year, but who knows.
You got lighter on the throttle because the engine pulled timing on regular, so the thrill was gone. I'm joking and of course, to each his own. But I don't know that many are aware that premium can actually improve mpg. I went from 17 to 16 mpg when I put on XLT tires. Went back to 17 when I switched to premium. The oil dilution concern was the other motivator. I'm at 153,000, knock on wood, and nothing internal has given up yet, despite me going over 6K on oil changes.