Vista Roof Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with Lincoln has been absolutely fabulous. My dealership is a smaller one so I don’t know what a larger one would be like, although I’ve read they are much fancier and have a larger selection of loaners. But as mentioned above, I can call in the morning and have same day pick up. Once they offered to meet me at the playground I was at with my two kids to exchange vehicles in the parking lot, I really didn’t expect that.

I’m convinced that good service sells future vehicles at a dealership, and poor service sends the customer to another dealership or brand.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m convinced that good service sells future vehicles at a dealership, and poor service sends the customer to another dealership or brand.
Couldn’t agree more. The car I had before this was a Subaru I bought new in ‘05. The dealership was both a Subaru and Cadillac dealership so idk if that had anything to do with the customer service but they were great. The Subaru mechanics were amazing and would discuss the repairs with me in as much detail as I wanted, I took it in for AC work and the timing belts every 100k. Since I did the other maintenance myself they would even discuss those repairs with me and what to expect. I moved 2 hrs away but would still take it to them for the major stuff.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An update: The dealer ordered the check valve for the front wheel grinding noise, even though my VIN# wasn't part of the technical bulletin. I told him they only made so many 4WD Expeditions and that these bulletins tend to get updated with more VIN# that are affected with time, and that I simply don't feel like bringing the vehicle in for the third time. He agreed. Part ordered and issue will be addressed.

Update on the Vista Roof rattle: I had to troubleshoot this myself, as the bulletin only addressed roof while opening/closing, whereas my rattle/knocking was heard while the roof was not in operation.

I traced it to the wind deflector mechanism. My rattle/knocking was only present with the Vista roof closed. If it was open, or in vent position, the rattle/knocking would go away.

After toying with the wind deflector, I noticed two metal clips made contact (longitudinally) with the plastic bracket in which they sit. They only make contact when the wind deflector is stowed away (with the roof closed).

Below are the pictures of the metal clips in the wind deflector, and the felt tape I've put over them to remedy the issue. The rattle/knocking is no longer present, even though the solution is less than aesthetically pleasing.

Hopefully this information helps someone else encountering the same issue in the future.

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An update: The dealer ordered the check valve for the front wheel grinding noise, even though my VIN# wasn't part of the technical bulletin. I told him they only made so many 4WD Expeditions and that these bulletins tend to get updated with more VIN# that are affected with time, and that I simply don't feel like bringing the vehicle in for the third time. He agreed. Part ordered and issue will be addressed.

Update on the Vista Roof rattle: I had to troubleshoot this myself, as the bulletin only addressed roof while opening/closing, whereas my rattle/knocking was heard while the roof was not in operation.

I traced it to the wind deflector mechanism. My rattle/knocking was only present with the Vista roof closed. If it was open, or in vent position, the rattle/knocking would go away.

After toying with the wind deflector, I noticed two metal clips made contact (longitudinally) with the plastic bracket in which they sit. They only make contact when the wind deflector is stowed away (with the roof closed).

Below are the pictures of the metal clips in the wind deflector, and the felt tape I've put over them to remedy the issue. The rattle/knocking is no longer present, even though the solution is less than aesthetically pleasing.

Hopefully this information helps someone else encountering the same issue in the future.

View attachment 27699

View attachment 27700
I am starting to get a rattle every time I go over a bump in the road. I know it is coming from the vista roof, but cannot tell where. I only happens while roof is closed.

Rob18

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with just over 1000 miles and has just started making a rattle noise with the roof closed. It sounds like it is behind the front passenger side seat. I haven't had a chance to ride in the back and try to pin point the rattle.

woody929

Reaction score
Add us to the list where the vista glass rattles. It kind of sounds like any number of old cars that I’ve been in while in Mexico that spend their life driving on cobble stone roads. Not a well taken care of vehicle with <10k miles.

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, reviving this old thread. I finally isolated the knocking and fixed it. To anyone not affected by this rattle, sorry for reviving an old thread. To anyone else looking for a solution, hopefully this saves you the hours I've spent trying to isolate the issue.

In my previous post in this thread I've indicated that wrapping the wind deflector in felt tape fixed the issue. Unfortunately, the knocking soon returned.

The real issue are the metal-on-metal mounting points. Follow these directions:

Close your sunroof fully.

From the inside of the vehicle, looking up at the front pane of the sunroof, remove the two rubber harmonica trim pieces (left and right) that extend vertically when the sunroof is put in the VENT position. You can just pull these rubber harmonicas out gently. Behind them, you'll find three Torx screws on each side (left and right) holding up the front sunroof pane. They are spaced out quite evenly. You may need a driver with an extender to reach them. Use a flashlight to see better.

You need to remove these screws (6 in total, 3 on each side of the sunroof), and put a piece of felt tape between where they attach. I recommend doing one side at at time (left, then right). Once you remove the three screws, you'll be able to push up on the sunroof and it will detach from the mounting bracket.

Use some felt tape with adhesive near the screw mounting holes. I used a piece of velcro (just the soft half). This way, the sunroof doesn't mount metal-on-metal, but rather on felt, mitigating the noise.

Screw the torx screws back in, TIGHT.

One thing to note: As you mount the sunroof pane back and re-tighten the three torx screws on each side, make sure your sunroof is flush with the roof (look from the outside roof-top). The screws allow for some vertical play. You don't want your front sunroof pane sunk low and cause leaks.

I'd include photos, however, I think the above description is pretty simple to follow. NOTE: This only affects the panoramic VISTA roof on Expeditions. I can't speak on any other sunroof versions.

Last edited:

RDDriver

Reaction score
I’ve had this issue on my ‘18 Expedition vista. Loved with it for a while then the roof got stuck and broke the opening mechanism. Had dealer replace with what they said was a retrofit kit (bad original design?).
Creaking when closed started again a few weeks later.
Took back and reproduced with aggressive turning. Tech added lubricant (Krytox) and creaking stopped for a few days. bought my own Krytox (not cheap) and applied but result was only slightly better.
Trying the felt tape approach not but not sure exactly where to position. Pics would probably help at least in my case.
I used electrical tape as I couldn’t find any felt tape. I put the tape on the top end of the outer metal piece as the OP suggested to be a buffer between the two metal pieces connected by the Torx bolts. Happy with initial results and known where to focus attention if it starts making noise again.
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Last edited: