Walk away or should I pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricEx

Reaction score
Hi, all I'm Eric.

Recently I found a 1997 Ford Expedition that I fastly became interested in trying to buy from a small, roadside dealership.

On first impression I was amazed at the quality of the paint/body, it almost could pass as new or even a new paint job, it was that nice. All the chrome pieces and plastic stuff, perfect. However on looking at the undercarriage the typical NY 'frame rust' is there. Now I crawled under this thing from one end to the other and concluded that the frame is still very solid, but cosmetically ugly. No major chunk rust or flaking, but not smooth or factory primer. It would be a fun job to sand down a bit and slop some paint on there later on. All in all the undercarriage is good condition, minus some glaze rust and some minor flaking.

Details of this rig are...

1997 Expedition XLT with the cloth interior(some cigarette burn marks) no rips or cracks, smells good.

Has new BF TA tires and new brakes all around.

127,000 miles

4WD, independent front.

Outer body is white and looks basically like new...because of the year I almost think it has been repainted, but doesn't look like any cheap repaint to me, looks factory.

The frame has typical NY winter rust, not bad, but it's ugly...I'd have to spend some long hours sanding and painting to keep it nice and prolong the life. Still solid, nothing looks welded up or cracked. I spent almost an hour looking at the frame.

Exhaust and all that stuff underneath looks in great condition, all heat guards in place, no leaks or built up oil can be seen. Body looks brand new straight, doesn't sag or have bad gaps anyplace. Doors shut great and rockers are rust free. No dents to be seen. Bumpers are like new, still has a rubber cap on the bumper hitch.

New tires/brakes

Asking price as of now is $3,449. When I first saw it I expected a price of 8 to 10,000, so I got interested and suspicious of the low price.

I have some pictures to post and I'd like to hear your honest opinions on this truck. I like the price, but should I walk away or should I pay?

Here it is... I'll post some more, detailed pictures tomorrow.

Attachments

• WP_20150404_004.jpg
    WP_20150404_004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 97
  • WP_20150404_002.jpg
    WP_20150404_002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 93
  • WP_20150404_003.jpg
    WP_20150404_003.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 96
  • WP_20150404_005.jpg
    WP_20150404_005.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty low miles for a '97. Make sure to get a vehicle report if you do buy. Ask about the sparkplugs too... If there isn't any history of them being changed, I'd make that my first priority after the buy. Test drive it, and make sure the 4x4 works. Listen for sound of bad joints. If it all checks out, I'd go for it!

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just my opinion but its way over priced
Do a search on Craigslist for your area and other cities close to you to get a better idea of what is available and prices.
Check KBB and NADA for values.
Ask the seller how long he has had it for sale?
From the pictures it does look nice and the milage is low but when you see what else is available you will see it is overpriced.

Do your homework.

Again just my opinion

If you are really interested in the vehicle then you should have cash in hand and make a offer but I wouldn't go any higher than $2500.00 and to me that is a little high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EricEx

Reaction score
Just my opinion but its way over priced.

That is what I thought and I have done some caparisons on craigslist and to my surprise, KBB values it at 1,920. He put on new brakes and BF tires so I bet he won't come down much. Also I went back this morning to get more pictures and I was wrong about the price. He wants 3995, not 3495. So that was discouraging, but I'm prepared to hassle the price armed with a printed KBB value report. I'm looking at below 3,000. If not then I'll walk away.
I noticed some slight over-spray under the left rear wheel well. Looks like some touching up happened on it. I expect things like that on an old rig though and the rockers are perfect....just saw a 1999 Eddie Bauer today with rockers totally shot. It was in a parking lot here at Target. The frame looked ab
out the same as this other rig.

I think it would be a great deal if I could get under 3,000 or 2,500 as someone suggested. If he won't budge then we'll play the waiting game. It's on the way to town so I see it every day...In two weeks if it's there I'll stop and offer again.

More pictures I got today

Edit: NADA values it at 3,650.00. KBB values it at 2,759

Attachments

• WP_20150406_001.jpg
    WP_20150406_001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 59
  • WP_20150406_002.jpg
    WP_20150406_002.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 67
  • WP_20150406_003.jpg
    WP_20150406_003.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 59
  • WP_20150406_007.jpg
    WP_20150406_007.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 65
  • WP_20150406_008.jpg
    WP_20150406_008.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EricEx

Reaction score
Pretty low miles for a '97. Make sure to get a vehicle report if you do buy. Ask about the sparkplugs too... If there isn't any history of them being changed, I'd make that my first priority after the buy. Test drive it, and make sure the 4x4 works. Listen for sound of bad joints. If it all checks out, I'd go for it!

Thank you.

Attachments

• WP_20150406_009.jpg
    WP_20150406_009.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20150406_005.jpg
    WP_20150406_005.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 60

05expedeb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Again money talks BS walks If you want it that bad then go with cash in hand and pull it out and tell him you are ready if he is. Then tell him that if not and he calls you back the offer will be $2000 But from what you say about the condition I wouldn't go over 2500 there are too many other expedition's within 150 miles of you that are newer and less money although some have more miles on them. But 3995 is way to much for a 97 in your area. Winter is over and the prices should drop. So keep your eyes open.

R0CK1TMAN

Reaction score
Hi, I just moved to CO last November so I needed a 4x4 fast for snow days.

Here was my experience.

What I came across was a 1998 Expy 4.6L with 180,000 miles at Midtown Motors in Denver CO. Price was $3400. (talked them down to $3100 but then they tacked the $300 back on in "fees" on the back end of the sale.)

I asked about why it was priced "low" as its appearance was also shockingly good for a '98 in 2014. Salesman fed me some garbage about "internet sales" and I bought it.

Within a few days the heat doesn't work, engine overheats, and develops a coolant leak with combustion gases present in the cooling system.

I very much regret not taking the truck to a mechanic to pay $50-$100 for them to give the undercarriage a little "how's your father".

I was stuck with a lemon that needs $800-$1200 in head gasket repair.

Fortunately I used K-seal and sealed the minor head gasket weakness and the truck is now passable as a snow day ride.

OP
OP
E

EricEx

Reaction score
Well I dickered with the guy and he'll go 3,650. This wasn't good enough since I pointed out the values on these years and miles is like 3,000 and below. Of course he used the argument I already predicted and that is "well I put on brand new BF tires and total brake work." I guess he has a point to an extent, because those items probably cost around 1,800? If I would of gotten the truck and it needed those items I would of had to put that money into it anyways. So really I think the extra cost he wants is the price of the new tires and brake job he put on it. It runs real strong, started up like an old Ford and ran pretty smoothly. I didn't drive it. He said also both front sway links are new.
I offered him 3,250, but no go. I'll wait and see if it's there in two weeks and see if he'll bite then, but I won't be sad if it's gone.

The same guy has a 2003 Ranger 2wd xlt, 4cl, long box for 7,400.... which I think is nuts, becasue while it looks good it has a crusty frame and it's a 2003. He wants 7,400 cause it only has 66,000 miles.... Just seems like too much.

I dunno..... I gave up there so I guess I'm back shopping. Thanks all.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few things I consider when in the hunt for another vehicle:

Private owners can give you information about the vehicle, may also have receipts of past work done to it. Most of the owners here don't even clean it up, so you get to see how it has been taken care of.

Used car dealers offer financing, don't have a history on the vehicle and want top dollar for everything. They always clean it so you have no idea of how it was taken care of. To me it masks potential problems.

Do I hate dealers, no. I just don't like giving my money away to someone who doesn't have a clue on the history of the vehicle. Carfax doesn't mean squat if I repair damage myself....

I usually look for someone who views their vehicle as a money pit, wants to get rid of it quickly and is inspired by cash. I always let them start the negotiating to avoid insulting them with a low ball offer.

Check this out on CraigsList for Atlanta for comparison:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4962718935.html

When looking on CL I only look at "by owner" and the vehicle must have a tag on the back. Otherwise to me it is dealer owned but posted in the by owner section.

Last edited: