! Wanting to swap engine with a diesel moter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it possible to convert my 98 Expo 2WD 5.4L to a Diesel?

with a newer powerstroke or cummings?

or am I waiting my time?

thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is possible given enough time and money, but why? If you need the towing ability get an Excursion with the 7.3 diesel. Everything is factory and not a bastard fit.
What are your abilities, tools & experience? How much diesel experience do you have? These engines look similar to the gas burners but it is a totally different world.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dschallmo98expo

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I think I have my answer. I just completely rebuilt the truck from the inside out. Complete new interior (from headliner to carpet to all plastic trim to new seats) Completely rebuilt the whole suspension front and rear. Competetly rebuilt the rear end and drive shaft. Having Trans rebuilt this week. with 170k miles on it looking to see if it was better to put in diesel or replace with rebuilt 5.4L.

OP
OP
dschallmo98expo

dschallmo98expo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh and I also did the complete braking system and A/C system as well complete replacement.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Diesel trans gearing is different than a gas burner due to the lower rpms. A diesel @5500 rpm has a scarry sound to it, parts are getting ready to leave the building. So if you went the diesel route you would need the trans plus pcm & TCM.

A different engine alternative is the V10 swap, minor mods and it is mostly modified factory parts. Do a search on here for it.

Last edited:

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm currently compiling parts for a 4bt swap myself. I have a 99 4.6. It has a leaking head gasket, slipping trans and multiple oil leaks. I have a 5spd trans out of a 97-F-150 and pedals (I'm losing my adjustable pedals). My transfer case will bolt right up.

I'm scouring Craigslist and junkyards trying to find a decent 4BT that has the Ford trans mount but it's clear they are hard to find unless I want to dish out 4G for a used motor. I've found a couple for $2000-$2500 that will require an adapter ($1000+). So once I figure that out I'll be close to ready.

I don't tow much but my 23' boat so not really why I'm doing the swap. More just because how badass is a 4BT Expy.

I've been told with the 5spd I have 1st gear will kind of be weak. But if I have a problem say pulling my boat from the ramp I'll just stick it in 4lo.

Anyways hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide. There's plenty of good write ups on 4bt swaps all over the interweb and I plan on doing a thread on my build once I get going. Probably in the spring , my wife just gave birth to our third child yesterday so that may slow me down a bit.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your local truck wrecking yards for a medium duty 7/9 speed eaton fuller trans. It will have the gear range that you need and you might be able to source a bellhousing for the 4BT. Should you find one it may not have syncros so you will have to double clutch or float the gears. Pay attention to the mounting also since there may not be a trans mount like the heavy duty truck trans.

Declansdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your local truck wrecking yards for a medium duty 7/9 speed eaton fuller trans. It will have the gear range that you need and you might be able to source a bellhousing for the 4BT. Should you find one it may not have syncros so you will have to double clutch or float the gears. Pay attention to the mounting also since there may not be a trans mount like the heavy duty truck trans.

Wouldn't that trans not be compatible with my stock transfer case?

fryguy

Reaction score
I would stick with the 5.4 personally. Just seems like a lot of work. But if you do it, post pictures! Would be cool to see.