water spots on glass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, just has to be at least 00 or finer, or at least that's the "coursest" I'd go.

Granted, it's always best to try going about the least aggressive way possible. Glass cleaner -> vinegar -> Rubbing compound by cloth/microfiber/pad -> Bar Keep's Friend (don't get it on paint) -> steel wool

Or, if you have some laying around, glass polishing pads work pretty well. Also work well in getting rid of thin scratches.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah steel wool would be my absolute last choice... only for extreme water spots since there are alternatives that have less of a risk factor

NewbieVet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heh, just has to be at least 00 or finer, or at least that's the "coursest" I'd go.

Granted, it's always best to try going about the least aggressive way possible. Glass cleaner -> vinegar -> Rubbing compound by cloth/microfiber/pad -> Bar Keep's Friend (don't get it on paint) -> steel wool

Or, if you have some laying around, glass polishing pads work pretty well. Also work well in getting rid of thin scratches.

Lol the last word I associate with "glass" is "steel wool" lol

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm :shocked: -- I wasn't aware there was a risk here... :shrug: -- :hmm: don't tell me the swirls in the windows are scratches? lol...

Naa, I've used it for like - ever.. on baked and caked spots...

There must be a product for these critters these days?.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
news paper and glass cleaner works great! been using it since i was a kid, thats what my mother made me use when cleaning the windows at her business!

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
news paper and glass cleaner works great! been using it since i was a kid, thats what my mother made me use when cleaning the windows at her business!

Yeah that's good for not leaving streaks. On dried spots you need more. I have them on my windshield and hate them

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm :shocked: -- I wasn't aware there was a risk here... :shrug: -- :hmm: don't tell me the swirls in the windows are scratches? lol...

Naa, I've used it for like - ever.. on baked and caked spots...

There must be a product for these critters these days?.

Heh, yea, 0000 (not 00 like I said originally) is usually what I've read to use. Also makes great fuel to start a fire :D

I know steel doesn't technically scratch glass (why razor blades are fine to use when peeling stickers), but there's always a risk of scratching. It just seems better to at least try with "less aggressive" methods first. :)

As for the scratches, it used a Diamondite system with pads (I think it used two?). It got rid of all but the deepest scratches on my side mirror. You know, the vertical scratches you get from rolling up your windows repeatedly with trapped dirt. I don't see it anymore on Autogeek, only one to get rid of water spots and what not.

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heh, yea, 0000

:waytogo: That's it... New glass again is good. :drool2:

I just couldn't remember what to use with it... steel wool by itself didn't do anything... wax, faded it & cutter wiped them off. All this old school detailing is coming back to me now.. :facepalm: