weak alternator voltage and 10 burnt fuses... !! ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohammed

Reaction score
Hello,

in my 2012 ford Expedition XLT 4X4, I have a problem that gave me headache and still, my alternator is outputing 13.8 at best, there was corrosion on the battery terminals and after cleaning it the voltage spike up to normal 14.2v for two or 3 starts.. the I figured OK my battery is sucking alternator voltage in with a new the voltage is 14.2v very good, second run the problem is back,

today tested the engine compartment fuse box, and after test all fuses I found 10 fuses not working they are as follows (according to the manual page 287):

*** UPDATE: I rechecked all engine compartment fuses with engine on and off and took some of them off , results is they are working fine

I didn't have check engine light !! , Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

20170808_072030.jpg

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it was nice that you took the time to list all of the fuses by number and description.
And ever the page number in the owners manual.

But what would be more helpful would be to know what year expy you have

OP
OP
mohammed

mohammed

Reaction score
its 2012, I expected the forum to display it from my personal info when I first register like other forums.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

I added your model info to your signature.
I doubt you have blown fuses, looks more like a dust/sand issue with making good connections. A couple cans of contact cleaner sprayed into each set of terminals with the fuses or connectors removed would help. Remove one at a time and spray. You can't run the engine with the pcm fuses and coil fuses blown so how are you able to read the 13.8 voltage?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the battery voltage with the engine shut off?

What is voltage at idle? And at 1500 RPM's

Last edited:
OP
OP
mohammed

mohammed

Reaction score
This forum doesn't You need to make a signature line

OK, thanks.

If you have 10 blown fuses then you have a short circuit somewhere.

I just rechecked all fuses in the engine compartment fuse box with engine on and off and took some of them off to check indivisually and they are all fine.

Welcome to the site.

I added your model info to your signature.
I doubt you have blown fuses, looks more like a dust/sand issue with making good connections. A couple cans of contact cleaner sprayed into each set of terminals with the fuses or connectors removed would help. Remove one at a time and spray. You can't run the engine with the pcm fuses and coil fuses blown so how are you able to read the 13.8 voltage?

Thanks man, it is as you said I recheck all fuses and they are fine, as for the battery terminals I changed the battery the asked the seller to clean them for me but I didn't check after him I'll try cleaning them my self and get back with the result.

What is the battery voltage with the engine shut off?

What is voltage at idle? And at 1500 R

I just changed the battery a week ago, the voltage last time I checked was 12.6v.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you checked the fuses was the engine running or was it off with the key out of the ignition.

Also how did you test the fuses.

Opps I see you corrected about fuses being good or bad.

Your original post didn't make sense If the fuel pump fuse and the coil fuse was bad the engine wouldn't have ran and you wouldn't see 14+ volts from the alt as it wouldn't have been running also

OP
OP
mohammed

mohammed

Reaction score
When you checked the fuses was the engine running or was it off with the key out of the ignition.

Also how did you test the fuses.

Opps I see you corrected about fuses being good or bad.

Your original post didn't make sense If the fuel pump fuse and the coil fuse was bad the engine wouldn't have ran and you wouldn't see 14+ volts from the alt as it wouldn't have been running also

I checked in all cases engine off/on any doubts took the fuses off test continuity, but mostly with a simple fuse tester just like the attached image.

fuse tester.jpg