weird noise after getting t-boned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

albany9044

Reaction score
Hey I have a 98 expedition Eddiebauer. tonight we got T bonedand the guy hit us directly in the rear wheel. There was hardly any damage to our car other than the wheel puncturing the tire. However we did have the truck in A4wd when we got in the accident, and on the drive home I noticed a really weird noise coming from the rear tire, in the area we were hit. (With a full size spare on of course) the noise does go away after putting the truck back in 2hi but comes back as soon as it'sout back Iin 4wd. And doesn'tgo away til I put Iit back in 2hi and then step on the brakes a little bit. I'm really hoping that it isn't axle damage or something because the stupid cops couldn't find out who was at fault. Another thing I should mention is that the spare is only 16 inches and the other tires are 17 inches but I've used that stare before and never had this problem. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You got hit directly on the axle and you don't think there's any damage? Unless you were in a parking lot going slow I'm surprised you were able to drive it. There's definitely damage. You should've taken pics and called your insurance.

OP
OP
A

albany9044

Reaction score
Aww **** man are you sserious? It was more towards the top of the tire

and it was in a residential so I'm guessing he was going 15 or 20

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lift that tire off the ground and give it a spin. I have a feeling it won't spin straight.

OP
OP
A

albany9044

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to do it tomorrow most likely tho, and if it doesn't spin straight should I just replace the axle shafts on the side, or both sides or do you think I'll be really screwed?

NickChick

Reaction score
Also, for your knowledge if you are lucky it did not cause any axle damage I would get the right size tire put on. One tire that is a different size can cause some pretty serious damage to your ring and pinion and spider gears in your rear differential.

OP
OP
A

albany9044

Reaction score
so I lifted the truck up today and did the inspection. The wheel does wobble but just ever so slightly. So I guess what I'm wondering is what is my next step from here? I've got the s 935 - axle with a 3.73 gear and 9.75" diameter. Should I look into replacing that one shaft? Or will further diagnostics be necessary?

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think you would just need the shaft. But to be sure I would replace the bearing when you have it apart. That bearing took a heavy hit as well.

OP
OP
A

albany9044

Reaction score
I would think you would just need the shaft. But to be sure I would replace the bearing when you have it apart. That bearing took a heavy hit as well.

which bearing is it exactly? And from what I found online it looks like my axle is a non c clip type, so I should be able to just bolt it right in right? And also will I need to refill the differential fluid when I do the swap?