What can I do to my 07 SSV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far everything is still in pieces. Most of the molding and plastic covers are out of the car. Seats are out too. Wires everywhere. I've done work on cars before but nothing to this extent. I'm pretty much learning as I go. Youtube helps a great deal too. Though I'm figuring out stuff on my own most of the time.

Things done:

1. Installed the seat warmer pads in the two front seats after a serious wash of the cloth with 3 kinds of detergent and a stiff brush on a power drill.

2. Hooked up Android head unit and rear view camera. Turned out the camera cable was a tad short... managed to find RCA coupler and an RCA cable to extend the length. Head unit was a pain too since I needed a 12 volt ACC wire. Thankfully someone had done a similar install in these boards and their post pointed me in the right direction. Something to do with a blue wire with white stripes under the steering wheel.

3. Hooked up Kensington mouse. It works, as I expected, but not as I had hoped. There's an Android app called Tincore that can remap buttons, will try it out. Also, it seems Android's own accessibility settings may provide some form of a solution as well. So far so good on that.

4. Box cutters do quite the number on plastics, especially when trimming down the Metra faceplate for the radio. It now fits like a glove. Even OJ would be jealous!

5. Scored a center console and a full carpet, front and back. Black. Dyson did its job then more soapy big brush, this time hand driven. I think I've discovered muscles I never knew I had :) At least it smells nice and clean. On the console... I'm suspecting I might need a mounting bracket bolted to the floor. I guess I'll find out in the next few days.

6. Painted the car. Valspar Tractor and Implement plus mineral spirits plus Valspar enamel hardner. Roughly 60/20/20. Small dense foam roller. Loads of fun. And curious neighbors looking to see what this crazy nut is doing with a roller on a car. Turned out mostly OK. Not looking to win any beauty contests on this. But come summer, I'll do a couple more coats. Kind of a pain these days, too cold and it's been raining too. I'm leaving the top white. There's a tiny rust spot which I will sand down and give it some spray paint. For now I'm just going to tape the holes on the roof. Come warmer weather I'll do a more permanent fix with bondo and some better paint.

7. Removed the vinyl floor cover. Chugged it.

Things still to do:

1. Vacuum the floor. It's pretty filthy.
2. Put in carpet, seats.
3. Install seat warmer switches to console and to power.
4. Figure out if mouse will work with head unit the way I want it to.
5. Seems front passenger seat is powered. Harness is hooked up under the seat, motors too, but the harness wires that go to the floor wiring are cut. Just need to find a side panel with power switches for that seat. I'm thinking sometime early next year.
6. Put in center console.
7. Smog, register, and take a trip to Lake Tahoe!

Will post pics when done.
That is a lot of work. It's nice to see it moving a long.

OP
OP
L

LiverpoolFC

Reaction score
I assume you've checked closely that the doors are really painted white? I've seen many that are simply vinyl wrapped in white.

-- Chuck

Yes, doors were indeed white. I see a great deal of former police cars from auctions and such and all of them have had the doors painted white. Mostly it's just drivers and passengers but sometimes all doors are white.

guntech23

Reaction score
When you got your center console did it come with the mounting bolts or did you buy them some where and do you remember the size