What if the key fob dies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife tells me that for the past couple of days the display by the speedo would either tell her "key fob battery low" or "no key detected" when she would start the car. So I changed the battery in the fob and it went away. Then I saw this video on youtube about the secret compartment in the new F250 that you can put the fob in to start the truck if the battery is dead. In my Focus ST it was in the spot where the key would have been, I have yet to find it in the Expedition. Anyone knows where it is?

OP
OP
S

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It will go in the rear area inside the console. This is in the owners manual. I have never used the device but remember reading about it in the OM.

Thanks I'll check that out when I get home.

I am amazed how many people do not read their vehicle owner's manual, and then post questions that are easily answered by the information in the manual.

I skimmed thru it when I first got the truck and left it in the house. About a month later my house flooded with about 8 ft of water in it and I lost everything in the house including the manual. If I had a manual I would have certainly looked in it prior to asking the question.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many guys do you know buy a toy, or any put together item and read the instructions. No, most of us set all the parts out in front of us, separate the bolts, nuts, washers, and start assembly. We might look at the instructions if we get stuck. Why? Cause were guys! Same reason we never ask for driving instructions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always read the owner's manual, the problem is at my age, if it is a new feature and I don't use it, I forget about it. I do remember reading about that feature after NG mentioned it. :D

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A friend of mine called me from Washington state the other day to help him place a craigs list ad for him. I love the comment he said to me about knowing as much tech info as he'll need to make it to the end of his days. He's 59, sometimes I can relate. Probably why I use just an I phone. Computers can get so messy. I still like paper versions of repair manuals. They have a smell that digital don't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I skimmed thru it when I first got the truck and left it in the house. About a month later my house flooded with about 8 ft of water in it and I lost everything in the house including the manual. If I had a manual I would have certainly looked in it prior to asking the question.

It's available on the interwebs.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have searched for the "socket" for the retractable key inside the console as the OM describes after removing it from the keyfob and have yet to find it! Anyone have a pic??

jeff