What Tires do you Run - Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why did you select the tires you did?

I am running factory size (265/70/r17) A/TS Tires. I use my Expy for Snow days, Ski Trips, and Towing the Trailer. A/Ts have always given me better tow grip (I tow up/down hills), and the Snow is a no brainer.

This time I had the Nitrogen fill. It was 16 bucks for all 4 tires, so on a set of new tires for the Expy, its not really a cost problem. Anyone have any experience there?

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a set of the general grabber stx from walmart because I actually know and trust the guys in my local store to touch my vehicle. so far I have about 1 1/2 years on them and maybe 10k miles. wear is good. winter grip was okay the one time I got to drive in the snow here in north alabama. I don't know why you would go with nitrogen fill. these tires have just air in them and I have not had to add even one psi back to them filled at 33lbs per the door instructions. stock size is 255 something r 16 but I went with 245 since the previous tires were 245 and they couldn't mix/match for whatever reason. I had to put two on one week and two more two weeks later due to cash flow restrictions.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nitrogen is more about not getting water in the tires. The weather changes 50+ degrees in a given day out here, often. That means the water vapor in the air changes size, and that reeks havoc on the bead and the valves. On a big SUV tire, it makes can make a good difference.

[I am told. talk to me in 5000 or so miles]

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm, I never thought of that. the tires on this truck were from back in 04 and they were dry when pulled off so that must not be a problem here

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air you breathe is like 76% nitrogen.

Yes it's true that nitrogen is drier and isn't effected by temp changes, but for most normal road going cars, this isn't a big deal.

If your wheels don't have 2 valve stems (one to pump in the nitrogen and the other to purge the trapped air) then it's not really worth paying for, IMO. Some wheels do have 2 valve stems. But not many. Most are racing oriented because with a nitrogen fill in a racecar, the tires won't change pressures throughout the race.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on my stocks I had goodyear forteza triple thread...they were quiet and were triple thread...suited for snow...rain...dry conditions...loved them

searchlightw20

Reaction score
-I run Hankook DynaPro MT LT 285 70 17, great all around tire for my driving style. Not too much road noise yet because they are new but im sure if I miss a couple rotations they will sing going down the road

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2