whats gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carp2000

Reaction score
Hey what's up?
I'm about to change the gears in my 00 expy and I was wondering what would be best. I have 3" lift and I'm running 36's under her, I was think of 4.88, unless somebody can let me know whats going to be best over all. I want the power but I have to pitch the MPG to the wife...... anyways somebody has to know this stuff better than me so any help will work

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would run 4.88 as well.

4.56 would be a good choice also.

But 4.88 will give a little extra torque multiplication and is only about a 7% shorter than with 4.56.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carp2000

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going with 4.56 gears, do I have to change the front ones also or can I wait? I don't us the 4x4 unless I go to WV and go trail riding. Any help would be great,

croatone

Reaction score
A good general rule of thumb for gear selection is multiply your tire height by .12 For smaller trucks with a v6 or a four cylinder you would use .14 So your ideal ratio would be 4.32 this ratio doesnt exist for us ford guys. so the next closest would be 4.10 I really think anything above a 4.56 would keep the revs to high.

OP
OP
C

carp2000

Reaction score
not yet

I haven't had a chance yet. I need to find a deal cause I'm a poor military guy you know