What's needed to add a second battery to the engine bay ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for chits and giggles, I went to O'Reilly website and searched for a battery for a Ford Expedition. It comes up with nine batteries, two of which are yellow tops. There CCA and CA are almost identical to the first battery (which happens to be the "platinum" series). Yellow's is 750 and 870 and platinum is 750 and 860. That's plenty of starting power. Both have a 3 year warranty (does any battery do more than 3 years?) but like I said earlier, yellow tops are not cheap, $220 for the one I have vs. $184 for the platinum.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...ar=2002&make=Ford&model=Expedition&vi=5016390

I've also owned many red tops in my life. I've NOT had as good as luck with them as I have the yellow tops. Even so, I still have a red top in my 1991 Eagle Talon TsiAWD along with a huge "reserve cell" (looks like a battery to me but they say its not a "traditional" battery). Apparently, these "reserve cells" do not interfere with the under hood battery as a second traditional battery would. That's why I said to use two IDENTICAL batteries in my first post if using traditional batteries.
I do have high-output alternators in both my Expedition and Talon. The Corvettes still have the stock alternators. They make high-output alternators for the Corvettes but 9 out of ten times, the high-output alternators will throw a fault code. I don't want that in the Corvettes.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I guess the yellow top battery is kinda of a hybrid, best of both worlds. You can use as both. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the update, you can teach an old Moose like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In addition to the onboard marine battery charger I also run an Interstate MT7-65 AGM battery. My Expeditions are used as a mobile office running computers, cell modem, gps, two way radios and LED warning lights....