Whats this liquid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easier to Google them since they will have pics.

Oil pan gasket

Valve cover gasket

Timing cover & gasket

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you post pics from further back it would be easier to get a sense for where we are looking, I can’t tell what that area is really.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
++ on what Stamp said: an oil leak.
are you having excessive oil usage? how many miles? Any recent maintenance?
Resolve: might be as easy as snugging up the bolts, or you could need a new gasket(s). For both valve cover and oil pan, DON'T over tighten.
is it a 4.6 as I see the oil filter on engine block, vice remote like on some 5.4s?

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It might be just from regular oil changes. When you take off the oil filter the oil drips on the aluminum Looking shield on top of the cross member directly under the oil filter. Another way to look at it from the picture it is directly above the bolt that attaches the control arm to the cross member.
From that shield the oil drips down into the cross member - control arm area. A lot of people don’t clean the dripped oil off and overtime you end up with something like that.

OP
OP
christian segundo
Reaction score
++ on what Stamp said: an oil leak.
are you having excessive oil usage? how many miles? Any recent maintenance?
Resolve: might be as easy as snugging up the bolts, or you could need a new gasket(s). For both valve cover and oil pan, DON'T over tighten.
is it a 4.6 as I see the oil filter on engine block, vice remote like on some 5.4s?
I just had the oil change it’s at 352,245 miles I just bought it for 600 so I’m trying to get it to where I could maybe drive from Houston to McAllen with in the year