what's your favorite upgrade (noncosmetic)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00expi

Reaction score
I'm new to expeidtions. have a 2000ext.

I'd like to know if there's some must-do upgrades. you know, real functional, bang for the buck stuff that even people who don't tend to upgrade their trucks really would benefit from doing.

i'm in North Dakota if that matters.

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cold air intake, search for a gotts mod or pick up a kit. that and an exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow, etc

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
gotts mod is cheap and really does help the milage i got about 1-1.5 city-highway. open your hood open your air box remove filter remove section of box that goes into fender pull off that air restrictiong piece going into the fender get some 4 in exhaust tubing or pvc(pvc file down 2 sides, since hole is oval) slide in hole just so it sits inside fender make sure it is not too far in just go to inner fender use a 4"-4" rubber boot mate it up with air box drop in a k&n filter and your good to go. might be 3 in hole i really cant remember and i just got off work headed to bed lol pipe only needs to be like 6-7"s someone post on this lol im tired and know the concept i did mine works great just having trouble with exact details right now haha goodnight. it helps alot and is a very cheap mod. under 10 bucks pick up atleast a 1 mpg in town on these gas guzzlin tanks

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I would also recommend doing the e-fan conversion. Helps a little bit in the mileage department, but also gives you a little more power in the lower RPMs making it easier to get the truck up to speed. But, I would only recommend this if you are planning on keeping the truck for a long time. To do it right it will set you back about $300. You can go cheaper, but survivability will be challenged.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thermo im seriously lookin at doin the efan conversion next, how much mileage do you think i can pick up. right now im gettin a best of 12 around town with all the lights and 17 on the highway with 91 octane and the edge, gotts mod, full exhaust, tb spacer. i have done a tuneup the only thing i havent replaced is the cops

OP
OP

00expi

Reaction score
i probably should've mentioned that i have a 4.6. so if the gotts mod will help a 5.4 slightly (average claim is 10% increase in mpg), i don't buy into the idea of it helping a 4.6 when they are originally the same diameter of induction.

i'm not too concerned with power although i do appreciate increases in efficiency. after you do some real track racing in a proper sports car, these trucks are pointless to modify for power unless you actually _need_ the power.

any other ideas?

how about in the convenience or amenity department? i am dealing with a bare bones ext.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
2000eb, most people see about a 0.5 mpg change. I did a lot of modifications at the same time when I did the e-fan conversion, so, I don't have any good information (I lost 4 mpg, but then I added a 4" lift and 35" tires at the same time along with some "good" playing).

But, I can tell you this, I am still pulling 13 mpg in town with 37's now. But, that is also after a gear change and a little bit of other engine work (port/polish of the intake and heads). So, now I pull 13 whether I am in town, on the highway, pulling a boat, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2