wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure to also apply upward pressure on the lower controller arm so that the spindle is level with the half shaft...

Then,, use a BFH :)

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
I have the bolts off and can see the axle part with splines slide back when i hammer it. Just cant get the hub assembly off at all?

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
The bearing assembly inner parst and lug plate broke out but i just cant figure out why i cant get the assembly backer plate with the 4 bolt holes off the truck

OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
ok one more question please... The hub assembly is absolutely seized in the housing. It is the large steel piece that bolts to the upper and lower arms. What is the name of that piece that the splash guard or is on and the hub assembly goes into? thanks.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the spindle. there is four bolts that hold the hub to the spindle.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he took those out. Do you mean the plate that is behind the hub? Try and take a pic if you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pittmike

Reaction score
Yeah the plate behind that has the connection to upper and lower arms i heard it called knuckle or spindle but not sure what stores call it

XR4Ti

Reaction score
So what did you end up doing? I have the same problem -- the hub is seized in place with the spindle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy both size sockets from Sears, they usually return anything. Just ask before you buy.

XR4Ti

Reaction score
In my case it was 35mm and I was able to get a kit from a loan a tool program at my local Canadian Tire. 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer AWD.

But I was referring to the hub being seized in the spindle. It is hard to hammer since the dust shield is in the way and is sandwiched between the hub and spindle. You can't really heat the spindle it since there is a foam anti-vibration/rattle piece on the dust shield would melt (well, I guess you could still heat other areas around it but I didn't). I hammered for a while hoping to shock it free, but that didn't work.

So I sprayed with WD-40 (nothing better around) and let it sit overnight. Then I put a jack on the threads to put some pressure at an angle on the hub (most of the suspension weight) and with a few hammer whacks it broke free.