Wheel Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 21050

20X9 6-135/139 ET30 XD Bomb ... not the greatest pic. I would price out the tires at the same time as your decision on wheel size. I had a '14 Explorer Sport and went with 18" winter wheels/tires vs 20" (factory) and saved good money as the pricing for the same tire on different wheels can sometimes be significant. How dirty they appear depends on where you are driving them. In PA there are almost no dirt roads... brake dust will dirty your rims before anything else... When visiting family in MI, I'm on dirt roads all the time.. so Sand, mud, are much more prevalent...however the car gets dirty before the rims.

I also have a minivan with more matte black wheels... and those can get dirty...but much less compared to any chrome or polished chrome, much less. We've had white vehicles with tinted windows and have found black wheels complimented them more-so than the chrome or polished aluminum... but that's just our taste... get compliments on the mini-van all the time (which is not what you'd expect driving a minivan)... I had to buy rims for the snow tires so thought it would pop with black...and they do.
Kevin, that is a great looking truck. I have a couple of questions.

What did you notice sound wise with the resonator delete?
Was there any change in gas mileage?
Is your truck lifted?
What size tires are those?
I really like how the black and silver wheels sets off the rest of the truck.

KevinCar

Reaction score
Kevin, that is a great looking truck. I have a couple of questions.

What did you notice sound wise with the resonator delete?
Was there any change in gas mileage?
Is your truck lifted?
What size tires are those?
I really like how the black and silver wheels sets off the rest of the truck.

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply...just saw this.

the resonator delete and update to Flowmaster 40 happened at the same time... I will say... it does not sound like a V8. This is my first V6 ever...so I really didn't think about it... until after...starting up it has a nice rumble... but once you take off... it may sound closer to an import street racer than a truck. When I visited family in the midwest they all had a chuckle... but you can definitely hear the turbo more... I wasn't going for that sound and was a little disappointed. I'm not sure what it would have sounded like with just a resonator delete with stock muffler. i did hear that flowmasters don't do as well on the V6 as a MagnaFlow would...but haven't seen any clips out there to know the difference in sound. If you look videos of the new F150 Raptor (same engine just modified) with stock exhaust it sounds somewhere in-between that and this borla video. Actually, the Borla video compares all 3 (stock and 2 performance exhausts they make). The flowmaster does have more drone to it...whereas the borla is more raspy comparatively. Once again, not exactly what I was going for... but if nothing else would prefer it to sound more like the Borla in the video... or even the stock raptor exhaust. i have also heard they modified the sound created by the exhaust when in the cabin to sound more throaty... so what does that tell you... :) Overall i would still update the exhaust as I like the rumble, it does sound much more powerful and you can also hear the turbo more ... but maybe do a custom magnaflow or borla solution. This was also not a kit but a custom exhaust replacement and resonator delete. They do not make kits for Expedition ELs yet that I know of.

A very slight increase in gas mileage... about 1mpg better.

Truck is lifted with ReadyLift strut spacers.

I updated my signature with tires / wheels size.... I did increase from the stock... but not much ... i think they work out to be about 33.5" tall.

Thanks, I had done something similar on my previous 2014 Expedition Sport I had that was also white... which prompted me to do something similar here.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply...just saw this.

i have also heard they modified the sound created by the exhaust when in the cabin to sound more throaty... so what does that tell you... :) Overall i would still update the exhaust as I like the rumble, it does sound much more powerful and you can also hear the turbo more ... but maybe do a custom magnaflow or borla solution. This was also not a kit but a custom exhaust replacement and resonator delete. They do not make kits for Expedition ELs yet that I know of.

A very slight increase in gas mileage... about 1mpg better.

Truck is lifted with ReadyLift strut spacers.

I updated my signature with tires / wheels size.... I did increase from the stock... but not much ... i think they work out to be about 33.5" tall.

Thanks, I had done something similar on my previous 2014 Expedition Sport I had that was also white... which prompted me to do something similar here.
Thanks Kevin. The F150 actually makes a V8 sound through the sound system so inside the truck it sounds like you are driving a V8. :)

I'm still thinking about a lift kit but I haven't decided. I am not sure that I want to do it myself because I don't have a flat place to work.

The wheels are really sharp, I like them more every time that I see them.

I think I'll keep my exhaust stock as I like it quiet. :D

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I first heard of the fake engine sound, this was my first thought:
6790fcc2da814fbf8a346f05a2a0dda7--bike-stuff-bicycles.jpg

Next, they'll be offering classes on how to say "VROOOOM" correctly (and safely).

Penumbra

Reaction score
I haven't done a lift and not sure I will yet but King shocks is the way to go from my research...not a spacer.

I just stuffed 285/60/20's on my 16 w/o any issues.IMG_3894.JPG IMG_3906.JPG IMG_3914.JPG IMG_3915.JPG IMG_3910.JPG

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Penumbra

Reaction score
I can't really tell, what kind of wheels are those? Did you say hey are 16 inches or 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
285/60/20 ...it's posted...which is a 33.46" diameter and 3/8" wider than stock

Last edited: