Wheel Hub Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Journey

Reaction score
Hi all,

My new rotors/pads are coming in next week and I'm trying to come up with my game plan (never done this before, but am capable) - I would like to take off the rust on the wheel hub assembly ('cause I'm sure it's there) - what's your guys' technique? steel brushes? do you paint the surface with what to protect it from future rust? Powerstop says their rotors are zinc-plated to help with rusting, I'm not sure how long that will last though.

Any other maintenance suggestions you guys have while I'm down there?

Thank you

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I've ever done is a wire brush or wheel to get the tough stuff and then use anti-seize compound where the center of the rotor hits the hub and the piece that goes through the middle. That's about the best you can do.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you will also want to put anti seize on the wheel itself where it contacts the hub so the wheel doesn't freeze on which can happen at the worst of times (like when you have a flat on the side of the road and cant get the wheel off)

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you will also want to put anti seize on the wheel itself where it contacts the hub so the wheel doesn't freeze on which can happen at the worst of times (like when you have a flat on the side of the road and cant get the wheel off)

AMEN to this! I had to POUND a wheel off my little car once using a long 4x4, striking the back of the wheel from the opposite side of the car...whew....a little anti-sieze and it wouldn't have happened!

jeff

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I used to work on cars for a living I ran into this all the time especially on aluminum rims. Steel rims too but I could hit them with a torch and they would fall right off

I have a 8 lb sledge for the others. Still have it in my garage

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too use anti-seize between rotor and rim. In the past, I've had to beat the heck out of the wheel to get off, never again.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I used to work on cars for a living I ran into this all the time especially on aluminum rims. Steel rims too but I could hit them with a torch and they would fall right off

I have a 8 lb sledge for the others. Still have it in my garage

Is blowtorching a steelie something normal you'd do to a vehicle you owned and drove, or just to ****** customer vehicles at work?

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is blowtorching a steelie something normal you'd do to a vehicle you owned and drove, or just to ****** customer vehicles at work?
I thought you got banned for being a giant dick once already. Find some empathy, dude.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you got banned for being a giant dick once already. Find some empathy, dude.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

...?

Whose pain and sufferring am I being insensitive to here, exactly?

Buy a dictionary and get a GED already.

you have no idea what you are talking about

and this comment just proved it.

I've only ever had one vehicle with steel wheels, my expy, and not for long at that. They come off just fine without, and besides, I've had plastidip or bedliner on em the entire time and would thus look for other solutions....so nope, I've never applied a torch to em.

Only to seized up suspension bolts on a bimmer. Didn't help much, btw, not until I broke out the candlewax