Wheelskins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the first thing I did when I got my Expedition was to get a Wheelskins for the steering wheel. I had one on my F150 before that and liked the way it felt. A couple of weeks ago the lace broke and I took it off. I forgot how rough and uncomfortable the plastic of the steering wheel is. I called Wheelskins and they sent me a new lace and needle. I put it back on today.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
That's something that I've been meaning to do for the last year or so, but I never get around to it. I think about it every time I get in the truck, but then somehow completely forget about it by the time I get out of the truck.

OP
OP
DF5.4

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you don't have the factory leather steering wheel cover it is worth it.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DFS5.4 - are these things really worth $55. I aske because I just threw a $10 Target cover on mine because my factory leather one is all beat up. I am not real happy with it - but I looked at one of those lace up ones that someone recommended on this site (much cheaper I think) - but my wife said I would never have the patience to put it on. Let me know how hard it was to lace up and I am assuming it fits pretty tight. Also not sure if I have to remove the factory wrap first, or just go over it. Your advise appreciated - Mike

OP
OP
DF5.4

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they are worth it. It is soft and very comfortable. It is a tight fit. I know of other people who have put it over the factory leather. It does take some work to lace it on. It took me about 2 hours to get it on yesterday. I was being picky and had some podcasts to listen to while I worked on it. You definitely will need to wear gloves to pull the lace tight enough.You can get it cheaper at Amazon.

http://wheelskins.com/

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also put mine over the factory leather.
Recommend working the seams first if you already have a covering so it will "contour."
Concur on the gloves to get the nice pull, and ensure you tuck the tag end out of sight, or underneath.

mtondreo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys - might have to try it out. the Target solution is shoddy looking and not real comfortable (but better than it was). Thanks, Mike.