When life totals your Classic Expy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

threechorder

Reaction score
...get another with more options!

So this guy makes a left turn in front of my wife when she's going through the intersection at 40 mph. She didn't even have time to brake. No major injuries, thankfully, but the expy has seen much better days.

We've had "Big Bertha" for 15 years, since it was 1yo, and since our youngest daughter was a baby. Bertha was a '98 base model XLT with a 4.6L Triton, three rows of bench seats, cloth interior, green exterior :( , and 191,000 miles. She was my wife's ride and pride and joy. She never wanted another vehicle. So, she wanted one as close as possible to what she lost.

The newby is a '97 with a 5.4L engine, leather, bucket seats, console, air shocks, tinted windows, 6-cd changer, black exterior :) , new tires, upgraded wheels, and only 114,000 miles!

The wife is happy!

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouch! i had a similar crash in 2010 at C and Potter, lady turned left in front of my old excursion as i was going 35mph. totaled both my truck and killed her Forester. I still have shoulder/neck pains to this day. I'm glad your wife is okay!

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank God for the Expy. I notice you made no mention of injuries ... imagine if your wife had a "smart" car!

My 99 was hit twice during the 250,000 I drove it. Both times the other car was totalled. First time I had to get a new lug nut cover. Second time I had to replace a wheel and the pitman arm.

Gotta love the security of a solid vehicle!

It was a sad day when I handed the keys to the '99 to it's new owner, but I was proud of the miles it served me. At least until my little sister started bragging about her Explorer's 308,000 miles! Someone give me a call when a smart car hits 100,000! ;)

OP
OP
T

threechorder

Reaction score
Ouch! i had a similar crash in 2010 at C and Potter, lady turned left in front of my old excursion as i was going 35mph. totaled both my truck and killed her Forester. I still have shoulder/neck pains to this day. I'm glad your wife is okay!

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles. We're thankful for nothing but very minor, superficial injuries here. Now for the insurance waiting game...

OP
OP
T

threechorder

Reaction score
Thank God for the Expy. I notice you made no mention of injuries ... imagine if your wife had a "smart" car!

My 99 was hit twice during the 250,000 I drove it. Both times the other car was totalled. First time I had to get a new lug nut cover. Second time I had to replace a wheel and the pitman arm.

Gotta love the security of a solid vehicle!

It was a sad day when I handed the keys to the '99 to it's new owner, but I was proud of the miles it served me. At least until my little sister started bragging about her Explorer's 308,000 miles! Someone give me a call when a smart car hits 100,000! ;)

FP, yes, I've run the "smart" car scenario through many times. That's exactly why we choose to be "dumb." The extra fuel we use is a small price to pay for safety.

250,000 is quite a milestone! That's awesome. The lug nut cover comment kills me :smile: