Where are you from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Cruise Guy

Reaction score
New B

First thread; I'm from California Bay area. Work on my own Fords if I can and often need help as I am now a senior citizen and out of touch with all the things I did when I was young and poor.
Hope to get some answers about my '04 4x4 Expedition axel noises.

The Cruise Guy

Reaction score
'04 Expedition 4x4 with drive line noises

My Exped. has 89K on it, and started to make drive line noise like my old Fords did when it needed a rear axel bearing. All the time increasing with speed from 50 mph weather coasting, excellerating in and out of gear. At first it didn't do it all the time but now it does and now starting @ lower speed of 35 mph. I changed the diff. grease in the rear w/friction modifyer but no luck. It has never leaked or lost grease. But I hear lots of talk about axel noises coming from the front axel hubs that are sealed but often wondered if the other end of the axel (inside) cv joint was the problem (which can be greased). This causes me to believe that maybe that is where my trouble is because when I take off and turn to right and left I now hear louder rumbling or grinding noises like side tire lugg grips are rubbing the road. I can also feel the vibration on the Steering wheel. Can anyone help, as I hear that this may be a common problem?
Does Ford have a bulletin posted on this problem and where could I find it?