Which is the resonator on the stock exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got under the truck for the first time the other day to look at the exhaust and noticed i had what looks like 2 mufflers. I then looked online and saw that one of them is a muffler and the other is a resonator. Which one is which and can I cut off the resonator without any check engine light coming on? And what is the purpose of the resonator?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am guessing by your name that you have an '01 if so the big one under the passanger seats is going to be the muffler and the smaller one at the tail pipe is the resonator ( basically a second muffler just to keep it quiet ). You can get rid of the resonator with out getting a CEL here are some pics of my '02. I just put in a Flowmaster 70 series DI/SO ( its almost the same size as the factory muffler but nice because you don't get a lot of drone inside but you can still tell it is a V8) getting rid of the factory Y and got rid of the resonator and it made a huge difference. Let me know if you have any questions I did have to put in a provision for the pass side rear o2 sens, but found that a ford spindle nut works perfect for a o2 sensor bung.

Attachments

• Flowmaster front.jpg
    Flowmaster front.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 658
  • o2 2.jpg
    o2 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Tailpipe 2.jpg
    Tailpipe 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 309
  • Both Inlets.jpg
    Both Inlets.jpg